Multivariable Calculus Challenge Problem

In summary, the problem stated involves finding an expression that relates the area of a smaller region within a convex region (Γ) to the area of the convex region (Ω) in terms of the length of a line segment (ι) connecting points on the boundary of Ω. This problem is beyond the scope of the course, but it may be possible to solve for special regions such as circular or elliptical disks or rectangles. The concept of "envelope of lines or curves" may be relevant in this problem.
crimsix
Member warned about posting a problem with no effort

Homework Statement

Here it is:

Let Ω be a convex region in R2 and let L be a line segment of length ι that connects points on the boundary of Ω. As we move one end of L around the boundary, the other end will also move about this boundary, and the midpoint of L will trace out a curve within Ω that bounds a (smaller) region Γ. Find an expression that relates the area of Γ to the area of Ω in terms of the length ι.

Homework Equations

See above.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea. This is well beyond the scope of our course. The instructor put this out to get his students to reach out to the mathematics community and get involved in discussions of (multivariable) calculus. The closest I have come to encountering such a problem is related rates, but I have no idea how to do this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
crimsix said:

Homework Statement

Here it is:

Let Ω be a convex region in R2 and let L be a line segment of length ι that connects points on the boundary of Ω. As we move one end of L around the boundary, the other end will also move about this boundary, and the midpoint of L will trace out a curve within Ω that bounds a (smaller) region Γ. Find an expression that relates the area of Γ to the area of Ω in terms of the length ι.

Homework Equations

See above.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea. This is well beyond the scope of our course. The instructor put this out to get his students to reach out to the mathematics community and get involved in discussions of (multivariable) calculus. The closest I have come to encountering such a problem is related rates, but I have no idea how to do this.

While you may not be able to do it in general (it seems really hard!) you might have some luck with special regions such as circular or elliptical disks, or maybe rectangles. Why not try the (seemingly) easier cases first? The concept of "envelope of lines or curves" seems to be relevant.

Related to Multivariable Calculus Challenge Problem

What is Multivariable Calculus Challenge Problem?

Multivariable Calculus Challenge Problem is a branch of calculus that deals with functions of multiple variables, such as three-dimensional space. It involves the study of limits, derivatives, and integrals of functions with multiple independent variables.

What are the applications of Multivariable Calculus Challenge Problem?

Multivariable Calculus Challenge Problem has various real-world applications, including optimization problems in economics and physics, motion planning in robotics, and image processing in computer science.

What are the prerequisites for studying Multivariable Calculus Challenge Problem?

The main prerequisite for studying Multivariable Calculus Challenge Problem is a solid understanding of single-variable calculus, including limits, derivatives, and integrals. Knowledge of vector algebra and geometry is also helpful.

What makes Multivariable Calculus Challenge Problem challenging?

Multivariable Calculus Challenge Problem can be challenging because it involves working with functions of multiple variables, which can be difficult to visualize and manipulate. It also requires a strong understanding of single-variable calculus concepts and the ability to think abstractly and analytically.

How can I improve my skills in Multivariable Calculus Challenge Problem?

To improve your skills in Multivariable Calculus Challenge Problem, it is important to practice regularly, work through challenging problems, and seek help from a tutor or instructor if needed. Additionally, developing a strong understanding of the underlying concepts and being able to apply them to real-world situations can also help improve your skills.