Multivariable Calculus~Equation of a Sphere

In summary, the equation of the sphere with points P such that the distance from P to A is twice the distance from P to B can be found by setting up the equality d(PA) = 2d(PB) and expanding it out to get (x-2)^2 + (y-4)^2 + (z-2)^2 = 4((x-4)^2 + (y-3)^2 + (z+1)^2). The radius can then be found by completing the square for each variable.
madisonfly

Homework Statement

Find the Equation of the sphere with points P such that the distance from P to A is twice the distance from P to B.

A(-2, 4, 2), B(4, 3, -1)

Homework Equations

The equation of a sphere would probably be the most relevant equation.

That is (x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 +(z-l)^2 = r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So the way I look at it, I figure that I have to set up an equality. Therefore d(PA) = 2d(PB). I'm assuming that since point p isn't given, it is P(x, y, z)? I don't know though. If that's the case, my equation should look something like

(x-2)^2 +(y-4)^2 +(z-2)^2 = 2((x-4)^2 +(y-3)^2 +(z+1)^2). But I'm not sure if I'm approaching the problem the right way. And I don't where to look for the radius. Any input would be appreciated! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
madisonfly said:

The Attempt at a Solution

So the way I look at it, I figure that I have to set up an equality. Therefore d(PA) = 2d(PB). I'm assuming that since point p isn't given, it is P(x, y, z)? I don't know though. If that's the case, my equation should look something like

(x-2)^2 +(y-4)^2 +(z-2)^2 = 2((x-4)^2 +(y-3)^2 +(z+1)^2). But I'm not sure if I'm approaching the problem the right way. And I don't where to look for the radius. Any input would be appreciated! :)

I believe you are approaching it correctly, but that '2' would be converted to a '4' when you square both sides.

Distance =√[(x-x1)2+(y-y1)2+(z-z1)2]

So just expand out your equation, collect the like terms and then complete the square for each variable again.

Ohhhh. Nice thanks a bunch! I hate stupid numerical mistakes like that.

Related to Multivariable Calculus~Equation of a Sphere

1. What is the equation of a sphere in multivariable calculus?

In multivariable calculus, the equation of a sphere is defined by the equation x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = r^2, where (x,y,z) represents a point on the sphere and r is the radius of the sphere.

2. How is the equation of a sphere different in multivariable calculus compared to single variable calculus?

In single variable calculus, the equation of a sphere is defined by the equation (x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2 + (z-c)^2 = r^2, where (a,b,c) represents the center of the sphere. In multivariable calculus, the equation is simplified to x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = r^2, as the center of the sphere is assumed to be at the origin (0,0,0).

3. What is the significance of the radius in the equation of a sphere?

The radius in the equation of a sphere represents the distance from the center of the sphere to any point on its surface. It also determines the size of the sphere and is used to calculate the volume and surface area of the sphere.

4. Can the equation of a sphere be extended to higher dimensions in multivariable calculus?

Yes, the equation of a sphere can be extended to higher dimensions in multivariable calculus. For example, in four dimensions, the equation of a sphere would be x^2 + y^2 + z^2 + w^2 = r^2, where (x,y,z,w) represents a point on the sphere and r is the radius.

5. How is the equation of a sphere used in multivariable calculus?

The equation of a sphere is used in multivariable calculus to determine the distance between points and to calculate the volume and surface area of spheres in three-dimensional space. It is also used in various applications of multivariable calculus, such as optimization problems and vector calculus.

Back