Multivariable Calculus - Partial Derivatives Assignment

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of sharks when detecting blood in the water and the equation for the concentration of blood at a given point in the water. It also delves into finding the equation for the shark's path towards the blood source and using the gradient vector to determine the direction of travel. There is also discussion about the relationship between ∆x and ∆y and how it relates to the function.
ConnorM
1. Marine biologists have determined that when a shark detects the presence of blood in the water, it will swim in the direction in which the concentration of the blood increases most rapidly. Suppose that in a certain case, the concentration of blood at a point P(x; y) on the surface of the seawater is given by,

f(x; y) = 10^8 - 20x^2 - 40y^2

where x and y are measured in meters in a rectangular coordinate system with the blood source at
the origin. Suppose a shark is at the point (100;500) on the surface of the water when it first detects the presence of blood. Find the equation of the shark's path towards the blood source. [Hint: You can use the fact that if y=g(x) satisfies g'(x) =(a/x)*g(x), then g(x) =Cx^a for some constant C.

2. So far in this class we have learned about limits and continuity of multi-variable functions, tangents planes, linear approximations, gradient vectors, directional vectors, and partial derivatives.[/b]3. I know that the gradient vector points toward where the function is increasing most rapidly, to obtain the gradient vector I differentiated the equation f(x; y) for x to obtain fx = -40x and for y to obtain fy = -80y. Next I subbed in the sharks initial position (100;500) and found the gradient vector to be ∇f (100;500) = (-4000; -40000). The thing is my question asks for the equation for the sharks path to the blood source. I was thinking and wouldn't that mean its path is a straight line? If anyone has some guidance or knows what the next step is that would be much appreciated!
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ConnorM said:
1. Marine biologists have determined that when a shark detects the presence of blood in the water, it will swim in the direction in which the concentration of the blood increases most rapidly. Suppose that in a certain case, the concentration of blood at a point P(x; y) on the surface of the seawater is given by,

f(x; y) = 10^8 - 20x^2 - 40y^2

where x and y are measured in meters in a rectangular coordinate system with the blood source at
the origin. Suppose a shark is at the point (100;500) on the surface of the water when it first detects the presence of blood. Find the equation of the shark's path towards the blood source. [Hint: You can use the fact that if y=g(x) satisfies g'(x) =(a/x)*g(x), then g(x) =Cx^a for some constant C.

2. So far in this class we have learned about limits and continuity of multi-variable functions, tangents planes, linear approximations, gradient vectors, directional vectors, and partial derivatives.[/b]

3. I know that the gradient vector points toward where the function is increasing most rapidly, to obtain the gradient vector I differentiated the equation f(x; y) for x to obtain fx = -40x and for y to obtain fy = -80y. Next I subbed in the sharks initial position (100;500) and found the gradient vector to be ∇f (100;500) = (-4000; -40000). The thing is my question asks for the equation for the sharks path to the blood source. I was thinking and wouldn't that mean its path is a straight line? If anyone has some guidance or knows what the next step is that would be much appreciated!
Thanks.

In general the path would not be a straight line; from certain, special starting points it would be a straight line, but not if you start from more-or-less random positions. Why? Well, the direction of the shark's instantaneous velocity is given by the gradient, so the direction changes as x and/or y change.

So if the sharks path is going to be changing due to x and y changing, how am I supposed to create an equation to model that? Using the gradient vector ∇f(100;500) I know the direction of travel, also the hint at the bottom shows that y is a function of x called g(x). Would I have to use some 1st order differentiation to solve this problem? With the skills we have learned so far in class I don't know how to find the equation that the shark will follow.

ConnorM said:
So if the sharks path is going to be changing due to x and y changing, how am I supposed to create an equation to model that? Using the gradient vector ∇f(100;500) I know the direction of travel, also the hint at the bottom shows that y is a function of x called g(x). Would I have to use some 1st order differentiation to solve this problem? With the skills we have learned so far in class I don't know how to find the equation that the shark will follow.

Starting from ##(x,y)##, let the shark go along a short segment ##(\Delta x, \Delta y)##. What is the relationship between ##\Delta x## and ##\Delta y##? So, if the shark follows a path ##y = f(x)##, what does all this say about the function ##f##? Use the hint supplied.

ConnorM said:
f(x; y) = 10^8 - 20x^2 - 40y^2 where x and y are measured in meters in a rectangular coordinate system with the blood source at the origin.
I know that the gradient vector points toward where the function is increasing most rapidly, to obtain the gradient vector I differentiated the equation f(x; y) for x to obtain fx = -40x and for y to obtain fy = -80y.

This question had me stumped for a good while. You have calculated the gradient ##\nabla f(x,y)##. Now any path of steepest ascent ##y = g(x)## has a tangent that is related to ##\nabla f## how?

Ray Vickson said:
Starting from ##(x,y)##, let the shark go along a short segment ##(\Delta x, \Delta y)##. What is the relationship between ##\Delta x## and ##\Delta y##? So, if the shark follows a path ##y = f(x)##, what does all this say about the function ##f##? Use the hint supplied.

OK! So what if I use my gradient vector ∇f=( -40x, -80y ) and say that from y = g(x) being a path of steepest ascent its derivative will be equal to the slope of the gradient vector, so g(x)'s derivative will be g'(x) = -80y/-40x = 2y/x. From here I have a differential equation I can solve.

g'(x) = 2y/x

(1/2y)*g'(x) = 1/x

...solving this I got...

(1/2)*ln(y) = ln(x) + C , from here would I sub in my initial value (100 , 500) to find C and the resulting equation would be the sharks path?

(1/2)*ln(500) = ln(100) + C

C = 1.497 ≈ 1.5

then subbing in C and simplifying I got,

(1/2)*ln(y) = ln(x) + 1.5

e^((1/2)*ln(y)) = e^(ln(x) + 1.5)

(y^1/2 )^2= (e^(ln(x) + 1.5))^2

y=(e^(ln(x) + 1.5))^2

Is this correct or at least on the right track?

Last edited:
Oops! I messed up some of the simplification, my new answer is

y= Cx^2

subbing in (100;500)

500=C(100)^2

C=1/20

y=x^2 / 20

This is also similar to what the hint says!

The gradient vector at each (x, y) point is, as you say [itex]-40x\vec{i}- 80y\vec{j}[/itex]. At each (x, y) that points in a direction such that the tangent of the angle with the x-axis is (-80y)/(-40x)= 2y/x. Since the tangent of the angle is the derivative, that is the same as dy/dx= 2y/x. Solve that differential equation (it is "separable" so it is just a matter of integrating) to find the shark's path.

ConnorM said:
OK! So what if I use my gradient vector ∇f=( -40x, -80y ) and say that from y = g(x) being a path of steepest ascent its derivative will be equal to the slope of the gradient vector, so g(x)'s derivative will be g'(x) = -80y/-40x = 2y/x. From here I have a differential equation I can solve.

g'(x) = 2y/x

(1/2y)*g'(x) = 1/x

...solving this I got...

(1/2)*ln(y) = ln(x) + C , from here would I sub in my initial value (100 , 500) to find C and the resulting equation would be the sharks path?

(1/2)*ln(500) = ln(100) + C

C = 1.497 ≈ 1.5

then subbing in C and simplifying I got,

(1/2)*ln(y) = ln(x) + 1.5

e^((1/2)*ln(y)) = e^(ln(x) + 1.5)

(y^1/2 )^2= (e^(ln(x) + 1.5))^2

y=(e^(ln(x) + 1.5))^2

Is this correct or at least on the right track?

It is OK, but unnecessarily complicated. Just use the fact that ##\left(e^{\ln x + C}\right)^2 = k x^2##, where ##k = e^{2C}##. Of course, ##C = (1/2) \ln 500 - \ln 100 = \ln(\sqrt{500}/100)##, so ##k = e^{2C} = (\sqrt{500}/100)^2 = 500/100^2 = 1/20##.

OK thanks! You helped a lot! I actually understand this now thanks so much.

Related to Multivariable Calculus - Partial Derivatives Assignment

1. What is multivariable calculus?

Multivariable calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of more than one variable. It involves studying the behavior of these functions using concepts such as partial derivatives, multiple integrals, and vector calculus.

2. What are partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are a type of derivative that measures the rate of change of a multivariable function with respect to one of its variables while holding the other variables constant. They are used to find the slope of a function in a specific direction.

3. Why are partial derivatives important?

Partial derivatives are important because they allow us to analyze the behavior of multivariable functions in a specific direction. They are essential in many areas of mathematics, physics, and engineering, such as optimization, curve fitting, and the study of motion and velocity.

4. What is the process for finding a partial derivative?

To find a partial derivative, you must treat all other variables in the function as constants and differentiate with respect to the variable of interest. This process is similar to finding a regular derivative, but with respect to only one variable at a time.

5. What real-world applications use multivariable calculus?

Multivariable calculus has many real-world applications, such as in economics for analyzing supply and demand functions, in biology for studying population growth, and in computer graphics for creating 3D models. It is also used in physics for calculating forces and in chemistry for determining reaction rates.

Back