Multivariable Vector: Gradient @ particular speed - Find Rate

In summary, The concentration of fluid is changing at a rate of -8 when moving in the direction of the gradient vector at a speed of 8 at point (-1,1,1).
MJSemper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Given: Concentration of Fluid = F(x,y,z) = 2x^2 + 4y^4 + 2*x^2*z^2 at point (-1,1,1)
Found Grad(F(x,y,z)) = <-8,16,4>
----If you start to move in the direction of Grad(F) at a speed of 8, how fast is the concentration changing?

Homework Equations

Already found the gradient ... = < 4x+4xz^2, 16y^3, 4*x^2*z >
...at point (-1,1,1) = < -8,16,4 >

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the gradient is the direction of greatest change, and its magnitude is the particular rate thereof. What I'm stuck at is how the "speed of 8" plays in there. Is it a scalar value to the magnitude of the gradient vector?

I know |grad(F)| = sqrt(336)
--do I take the Unit Vector of the gradient and multiply it by the scalar 8?

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess you should calculate [tex] \frac{dF}{dt} = \nabla F \cdot \frac{d\mathbf{x}}{dt} [/tex]

Related to Multivariable Vector: Gradient @ particular speed - Find Rate

1. What is a multivariable vector?

A multivariable vector is a mathematical concept that represents a quantity or variable with multiple components or dimensions. It is often used in physics and engineering to describe quantities such as velocity, force, and acceleration, which have both magnitude and direction.

2. What is the gradient of a multivariable vector?

The gradient of a multivariable vector is a vector that represents the rate of change or slope of the vector at a particular point. It is a combination of partial derivatives with respect to each component of the vector and helps to determine the direction and magnitude of the steepest ascent of the vector.

3. How is the gradient calculated?

The gradient is calculated by taking the partial derivatives of the vector with respect to each component and then combining them into a single vector. This can be represented mathematically as ∇f = (∂f/∂x, ∂f/∂y, ∂f/∂z) for a three-dimensional vector, where f is the function that describes the vector.

4. What is meant by "particular speed" in the context of finding the rate using the gradient?

"Particular speed" refers to a specific value or point in the vector where the rate is being calculated. This could be a specific point in time, location, or other variable that is relevant to the vector. The gradient at this particular speed helps to determine the direction and magnitude of the change in the vector.

5. How do you find the rate using the gradient at a particular speed?

To find the rate using the gradient at a particular speed, you would first calculate the gradient of the vector at that point. Then, you would take the dot product of the gradient vector with the velocity vector at that point. This will give you the rate of change or slope of the vector at that particular speed.