Multivariate Calculus Text Recommendation

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of finding a suitable text for learning multivariate calculus and linear algebra. The individual is seeking a text with more theory and less applications and is considering books such as Apostol, Marsden-Hoffman, Spivak, and Lang. They are also looking for recommendations and asking if these texts may be too rigorous for a first exposure.
BloodyFrozen
It has been awhile since I've posted. :rolleyes: Anyways...

I'd like to start learning multivariate calculus along with linear algebra. However, I have a little problem in choosing a suitable text. I'd like to have a text with more theory and less applications. Some people have recommend Apostol, but is it too rigorous for an introduction? So, I'd like to ask what is a good multivariate calculus text that is comprehensive?

I am also using this linear algebra book in conjunction, but it's up for change.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0132338599/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are sooo many. Marsden-Hoffman for example? do you know¿

i learned from spivak, calculus on manifolds, and lang, analysis 1, and fleming, calculus of several variables.

I'm inclined to buy Spivak's, but is it too rigorous as a first exposure?

Related to Multivariate Calculus Text Recommendation

1. What is multivariate calculus?

Multivariate calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of multiple variables. It involves the application of differentiation and integration to functions with more than one independent variable.

2. What is the purpose of a multivariate calculus text recommendation?

A multivariate calculus text recommendation aims to provide resources and materials for students and researchers to learn and understand the principles and applications of multivariate calculus. It can help individuals improve their understanding and problem-solving skills in this field of mathematics.

3. How do you choose a good multivariate calculus textbook?

When selecting a multivariate calculus textbook, it is important to consider the level of complexity, clarity of explanations, and the availability of practice problems and solutions. It is also helpful to read reviews and recommendations from other students or experts in the field.

4. What are some common topics covered in a multivariate calculus textbook?

A multivariate calculus textbook typically covers topics such as partial derivatives, multiple integrals, vector calculus, optimization, and applications of multivariate calculus in physics, economics, and engineering.

5. Are there any online resources for multivariate calculus?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning multivariate calculus. Some popular options include video lectures, interactive tutorials, and online courses. It is important to make sure the source is reliable and reputable before using it for studying purposes.