Multivariate quartic function help

In summary, the conversation discusses a difficult question involving the equation xy=1 and the solution x^4+y^4-z^4+4z^2-2=0. The student has tried various methods but has not been able to solve it and is seeking help. The solution may involve a line on the xy=1 plane in 3D and a closed form equation.
rattam

Homework Statement

I am a Turkish student bogged down by a very difficult question (at least for me).

Here's the question:

Given that xy= 1, find all solutions for X4 + y4 - z4 + 4z2 - 2 = 0.

I've spent many hours on this equation. It even prevents me from sleep.

I would appreciate it deeply if someone were to solve it for me, but I'll be equally grateful being directed to a book where equations of this kind are handled. Is this a trivial question? Is it simple to answer with the necessary background?

Homework Equations

the multiplication of xy is constant and equal to 1.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried various ways of expanding it, tried to rewrite the z part as binomial, but I think this is just beyond my skill.

Thanks so much for pputting up with my desperation! Any response is appreciated very much.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would say the solution is some kind of a line on the xy=1 plane in 3D. Your solution would be a closed form of an equation. So I don't know if saying that
{(x,1/x,z) satisfying the equation x^4+1/x^4-z^4-4z^2-2=0 }
is the solution set is enough.

FAQ: Multivariate quartic function help

What is a multivariate quartic function?

A multivariate quartic function is a mathematical function that involves multiple variables and has a degree of four. It is represented by an equation in the form of f(x,y,z) = ax^4 + bx^3y + cx^2y^2 + dx^2yz + ey^4 + fxyz + gx^2z^2 + hxz^3 + iz^4.

What is the purpose of a multivariate quartic function?

A multivariate quartic function can be used to model complex relationships between multiple variables. It is often used in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering to analyze and predict outcomes.

How do you graph a multivariate quartic function?

To graph a multivariate quartic function, you will need to plot points on a three-dimensional coordinate system. This can be done by assigning values to each variable and calculating the corresponding output. The resulting points can then be connected to form a graph.

What is the difference between a univariate and a multivariate quartic function?

A univariate quartic function has only one variable, while a multivariate quartic function has multiple variables. This means that a univariate quartic function can only be graphed on a two-dimensional coordinate system, while a multivariate quartic function requires a three-dimensional coordinate system.

What are some real-life applications of multivariate quartic functions?

Multivariate quartic functions can be used to model and analyze a wide range of phenomena, such as the trajectory of a projectile, the behavior of chemical reactions, and the relationship between supply and demand in economics. They are also used in machine learning and data analysis to identify patterns and make predictions.