(MVT) f(x)=sinx. Show that, for any given a and b, |sina-sinb|<=|b-a|

• Thread starter NWeid1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mvt
In summary, the Mean Value Theorem states that for a continuous function f(x) on [a,b] with f'(x) existing on (a,b), there exists a c in (a,b) where the slope of the tangent line at c equals the slope of the secant line connecting (a,f(a)) and (b,f(b)). This can be applied to prove that for any given a and b, |sinb-sina|<=|b-a|. To do so, we use the fact that |x| = |y| can be rewritten as x = y and apply the absolute value to both sides of the equation. Then, we use the property |xy| = |x||y| to rewrite the
NWeid1
I'm so bad with the Mean Value Theorem. Can someone help me prove that, if f(x)=sinx, that, for any given a and b, |sinb-sina|<=|b-a|. Explain if you could too, please. Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with what you know. What does the mean value theorem say?

First of all, I just realized I should've posted this in the homework section. And I know the function is cont. on [a,b] and f'(x) exists on (a,b) so f'(c)=(f(b)-f(a))/(b-a). So f'(c)=(sinb-sina)/(b-a). But I'm not sure how f'(c) comes into play. And I don't know how to interperate the absolute value either.

Ok, so we have:

(sin(b)-sin(a)) = f'(c)(b-a)

It's a well-known fact that x = y → |x| = |y|.

How can we apply that?

I honestly don't know...lol :\

gb7nash said:
x = y → |x| = |y|

This says that:

left-hand side = right-hand side

can be rewritten as:

|left-hand side| = |right-hand side|

For example:

a+b = c+d → |a+b| = |c+d|

Now, let's look at the problem at hand. We have:

(sin(b)-sin(a)) = f'(c)(b-a)

Applying the absolute value on both sides, how can we rewrite this?

|sin(b)-sin(a)| = |f'(c)(b-a)|. I understand this, I just read it wrong, lol sorry

NWeid1 said:
|sin(b)-sin(a)| = |f'(c)(b-a)|

Ok, good. Now, let's calculate what f'(c) is. What's f'(x)? After you have that, plug c in.

f'(x) = cosx so f'(c) = cos(c).

NWeid1 said:
f'(x) = cosx so f'(c) = cos(c).

Correct. So now, we have:

|sin(b)-sin(a)| = |cos(c)(b-a)|

It's also a well-known fact that |xy| = |x||y|. How could we rewrite the right-hand side?

|sin(b)-sin(a)| = |cos(c)||b-a|. And -1<=cosx<=1 so would it be |sin(b)-sin(a)| <= 1|b-a| ?

NWeid1 said:
|sin(b)-sin(a)| = |cos(c)||b-a|. And -1<=cosx<=1 so would it be |sin(b)-sin(a)| <= 1|b-a| ?

Correct.

Thank you so much for working with me and not just posting an unexplained proof. Props!

Related to (MVT) f(x)=sinx. Show that, for any given a and b, |sina-sinb|<=|b-a|

1. What is MVT (Mean Value Theorem)?

MVT (Mean Value Theorem) is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval [a,b] and differentiable on the open interval (a,b), then there exists at least one point c in (a,b) where the slope of the tangent line at c is equal to the average slope of the function over [a,b]. This theorem is important in proving many other theorems and in solving optimization problems.

2. What is the function f(x)=sinx used for?

The function f(x)=sinx is a trigonometric function that represents the ratio of the side opposite to an angle in a right triangle to the hypotenuse. It is commonly used in mathematical and scientific applications to model periodic phenomena such as sound waves and oscillations.

3. How do you show that |sina-sinb|<=|b-a|?

To show that |sina-sinb|<=|b-a|, we can use the MVT (Mean Value Theorem). Let f(x)=sinx, a and b be two points in [a,b]. By the MVT, there exists a point c in (a,b) such that f'(c)=(f(b)-f(a))/(b-a). Since f'(x)=cosx, we have cosc=(sinb-sina)/(b-a). Then, taking the absolute value on both sides, we get |cosc|=|(sinb-sina)/(b-a)|=|sina-sinb|/|b-a|. Since the cosine function is bounded between -1 and 1, we have |cosc|<=1, which implies |sina-sinb|<=|b-a|.

4. What does the inequality |sina-sinb|<=|b-a| represent?

This inequality represents the fact that the difference between the values of the sine function at two points a and b is always less than or equal to the distance between a and b. Geometrically, this means that the slope of the line connecting two points on the graph of the sine function is always less than or equal to the slope of the secant line connecting these two points.

5. How is the Mean Value Theorem used in real-life applications?

The Mean Value Theorem has many real-life applications. For example, it is used in physics to calculate the average velocity of an object in motion, in economics to determine the average rate of change of a variable, and in engineering to analyze the stability of a system. It is also used in optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum value of a function. The MVT is a powerful tool that helps us understand the behavior of functions and solve various real-life problems.