My biology teacher could barely speak English

In summary, the conversation is about how to utilize certain features on a forum for discussing physics, such as marking quotes and using symbolic notation for math equations. There are suggestions on how to do this, including using tex tags and right-clicking on equations to view the LaTeX code. The speaker also mentions being hesitant to post math equations due to not knowing how to write them symbolically.
DiracPool
My biology teacher could barely speak English, but after a couple of weeks you got used to hearing "ka PEEL ah rees". You figure it out.

Capillaries? Sorry about my whining last night, Evo, I was having a bad night. I won't bore you guys with the details. Is there a link where I could learn how to utilize these features. If I want to mark a quote where the OP is featured, the only way I can do it is quote the whole post. But, of course, I just want to pull out the piece I'm commenting on. Also, I find myself typically reluctant to post any maths on here because I have to spell everything out, like h-bar and E=mc^2. Forget any fancy functions with quotients, etc. I obviously know it can be done because I see it here, I just don't know how to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org

DiracPool said:
... Is there a link where I could learn how to utilize these features. If I want to mark a quote where the OP is featured, the only way I can do it is quote the whole post.

Well, no, you can capture the whole quote and then delete the part you don't want, OR you can capture the whole quote, delete everything except the quote tags and then cut and paste the part you DO want into the quote tags.

phinds said:
you DO want into the quote tags.

Ok, so you delete within the text, got it. Thanks. Any suggestions on the "Symbolic" notation, is that it? I find myself reluctant to express any maths here because I don't know how do write these things symbolically.

DiracPool said:
Ok, so you delete within the text, got it. Thanks. Any suggestions on the "Symbolic" notation, is that it? I find myself reluctant to express any maths here because I don't know how do write these things symbolically.
Use tex tags. Quote this post to see how.
[tex]y = x^2[/tex]

Jimmy Snyder said:
Quote this post to see how.
[tex]y = x^2[/tex]

Like this? You're taxing my cognitive capablilies here, Jimmy, I need to take it slow.

Quote my other post again, but this time don't reply to it. Just read it.

Use tex tags. Quote this post to see how.
y=x2

This is too hard for me Jimmy, I'm failing.

From the Physicsforums FAQ in the Feedback forum:

How to type mathematical equations here?

On my Mac, I can see the LaTeX code for any equation by control-clicking on the equation and choosing "Show Math As --> TeX Commands" from the menu that pops up. Someone else can tell you how to do it on Windows with a normal 3-button mouse. Left-click, maybe?

You can do the same in windows.

right click -> show math as -> TeX commands

Related to My biology teacher could barely speak English

1. What is the impact of having a biology teacher who can barely speak English?

The impact of having a biology teacher who can barely speak English can vary depending on the individual student and their learning style. Some students may struggle to understand the material and may feel frustrated or overwhelmed. It may also make it difficult for students to ask questions or receive clarification on certain topics.

2. How can students overcome language barriers with their biology teacher?

Students can overcome language barriers by actively engaging in class, asking for clarification when needed, and utilizing outside resources such as textbooks or online materials. It may also be helpful to form study groups with classmates who can help explain the material in a way that is easier to understand.

3. Is it fair to have a biology teacher who can barely speak English?

This is a subjective question and can vary depending on the school and its policies. Some may argue that it is not fair to have a teacher who is not proficient in the language they are teaching in as it can hinder the students' learning. However, others may argue that diversity in the classroom can bring different perspectives and enrich the learning experience.

4. What can schools do to support biology teachers who struggle with English?

Schools can provide additional support and resources for biology teachers who struggle with English. This can include offering language classes or workshops, providing teaching materials in both English and the teacher's native language, and encouraging open communication between the teacher and students to address any language barriers.

5. How can schools ensure that all students receive a quality education despite language barriers?

Schools can ensure that all students receive a quality education by providing proper training and support for teachers who may struggle with English, offering language support services for students who need it, and promoting a diverse and inclusive learning environment where all students feel valued and supported.