My calculations - youngs modulus

In summary, the conversation is about coursework being completed on the youngs modulus of copper wire. The participants added 100g weights and measured the extension using a traveling microscope. The calculations were done based on the diameter, cross-sectional area, applied force, extension, and original length. The resulting stress and strain were used to calculate the Youngs modulus, which was found to be 42 x 10(8) Pa. There was also a question about the correctness of the calculations and a request for clarification on the values provided.
jokiemay
Im about to hand coursework in. Its the youngs modulus of copper wire

We added 100g weights and measured the extension using a traveling microscope.

for example at 0.900kg the wire extended by 6.36cm

my calculations are

Diameter = d 2.7x10-5 m
Cross section area A = Pi x d (squared) /4 = 5.7 x 10-8
Applied Force F = (mxg) 0.900 x 9.81 = 8.82 kg m s-1
Extension e = 0.0636 m
Original length L = 1.788 m

So Stress = F/A = 1.54 x 10(8)
Strain = E/L = 3.6 x 10-2

Stress / Strain = Youngs modulus E = 42 x 10(8) Pa

Does this look correct?

If i was to work out my mass / extension from my graph i would get this ...

m/e = 14.2 x (gxL) 17.5 / A 5.73 x 10-8 = 4.3 x 10(9) pa

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi jokiemay,
I found it hard to understand what you're doing because you never really explained anything, you just have us a bunch of values. i.e. the cross-sectional area of what? What is 6.36cm? Is 0.9kg the mass of said object?

Help us to help you.

ive edited the post above . thanks

can anybody shine light on this ?

Your calculations and methodology seem to be correct. However, it is always a good idea to double check your calculations and make sure you have used the correct units throughout. Also, it would be helpful to include any sources or references that you used to determine the values of the constants used in your calculations. Overall, it seems like you have a good understanding of Young's modulus and have properly applied it to your experiment. Great job!

Related to My calculations - youngs modulus

1. What is Young's Modulus?

Young's Modulus, also known as the modulus of elasticity, is a measure of the stiffness or rigidity of a material. It is defined as the ratio of stress to strain within the elastic limit of a material.

2. How do you calculate Young's Modulus?

The formula for calculating Young's Modulus is E = σ/ε, where E is the Young's Modulus, σ is the stress applied to the material, and ε is the resulting strain.

3. What are the units of Young's Modulus?

The units of Young's Modulus are typically expressed in Pascals (Pa) or Megapascals (MPa). However, other units such as pounds per square inch (psi) or gigapascals (GPa) may also be used.

4. What factors can affect the value of Young's Modulus?

The value of Young's Modulus can be affected by various factors such as temperature, material composition, and microstructure. Changes in these factors can cause variations in the stiffness of a material.

5. Why is Young's Modulus important?

Young's Modulus is an important property of materials as it helps engineers and scientists understand how materials will behave under different levels of stress. It is often used in the design and testing of structures to ensure they can withstand expected loads without deforming or breaking.