My calculator's integration seems wrong

I made a mistake in my input. I entered "xy" as "yx". After correcting it, my calculator gave me the same result as WolframAlpha. Thank you for helping me spot my error. In summary, the conversation discussed an integral problem and the difference in results obtained using a calculator and WolframAlpha. It was found that the calculator used a different integration variable, resulting in a different answer. The error was identified and corrected, resulting in the same answer as WolframAlpha.
Computer science news on Phys.org
did you enter the right thing into your calculator with brackets in the right place, etc? I don't know how that y got left behind, you know your calculator better than I do.I got the same thing wolfram did.

gummz said:
This is the integral: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integrate+x^2+xy/2+from+0+to+x+with+respect+to+y

But my calculator (TI-nspire cx CAS) gets this:

x*(2x^2+xy)/2

Any idea why this is?
It looks like the integration done by your calculator used some integration variable other than x or y .

Please state in the body of your post the integral you are trying to evaluate.

Did you put a multiplication symbol, "*", in the middle of "xy"?. It seems that your calculator treated "xy" as the name of a single constant. Thus, your calculator integrated the constant "xy" and got y*xy, After evaluating at the limits, this becomes x*xy.

That's it! Thank you so much George.

Related to My calculator's integration seems wrong

What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve. It is used to solve problems related to motion, rates of change, and other mathematical concepts.

Why does my calculator's integration seem wrong?

There could be a few reasons for this. It is possible that you have entered the wrong function or limits of integration, or your calculator may have a limited precision that is affecting the accuracy of the result.

How do I check if my calculator's integration is correct?

You can manually calculate the result using integration techniques or use another calculator to compare the results. You can also check the settings on your calculator and make sure they are appropriate for the problem you are trying to solve.

Can I trust my calculator's integration results?

Calculators are designed to provide accurate results, but they are not infallible. It is always a good idea to double-check your results and use multiple methods to solve a problem to ensure accuracy.

What can I do if my calculator's integration is consistently wrong?

If you are consistently getting incorrect results, it could be an issue with the calculator itself. Try resetting the calculator or consulting the user manual for troubleshooting tips. If the problem persists, you may need to get a new calculator.