My Hero: Waid Mobile Observatory

• Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
In summary, the mobile observatory consists of a trailer with a pier that protrudes through the floor, self-leveling tripod legs, and a telescope that is attached to the pier. The pier can rotate and the telescope is adjustable in elevation. The mobile observatory is useful for photography on a windy night.
russ_watters
Mentor
Waid Mobile Observatory

When I'm 40 and I retire, I'm going to build myself one of these.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I want one too. Maybe i can convert my Dad`s mobile caravan. atleast i can have a nice hot brew while working!

I can`t see how he`s going to level it.

Leveliing isn't the tricky bit; I wonder how he's going to dampen vibrations.

zanazzi78 said:
I can`t see how he`s going to level it.
I don't think it would have to be levelled accurately--just stabilized. Screwjacks or hydraulic legs on the corners could do either.

Neat idea, for sure.

edit: Dave, your post wasn't there when I was doing mine. As for the vibrations, the aforementioned legs could consist partly of automotive shock absorbers or spring-loaded telescoping segments. I don't know which specific vibrations you're talking about, though. All that I can think of right off are wind and the observer's own movements inside. I don't assume that he'd be using the thing right close to a highway.

Last edited:
What’s that! That’s not a mobile observatory. Now http://www.rcopticalsystems.com/rc_cine.html is a mobile observatory!

BTW, the 20” Ritchey-Chretien alone is $48,000

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC426913 said:
Leveliing isn't the tricky bit; I wonder how he's going to dampen vibrations.

True

Photography on a windy night, forget it :mad:

Vast said:
What’s that! That’s not a mobile observatory. Now THIS! is a mobile observatory!

*DROOLS*

Last edited:
Vast said:
Now http://www.rcopticalsystems.com/rc_cine.html is a mobile observatory!
I'd like mine with the optional missile launcher, please. :-p

I was thinking about the vibrations bit this afternoon - the solution is that the telescope doesn't sit on the trailer! The pier just protrudes through a hole in the floor and has self-leveling hydraulic tripod legs folded into the bottom of the trailer. At least - that's how mine's going to work. :biggrin:

Vast said:
What’s that! That’s not a mobile observatory. Now http://www.rcopticalsystems.com/rc_cine.html is a mobile observatory!

It looks like the guy with the goggles is getting a direct feed from the CCD at the RC's prime focus...or is it just wishful thinking?

I noticed also that the "little" (about 12") 'scope under the RC is operating with an off-axis aperture mask. Custom-made with top-quality materials - black construction paper and gaffer's tape. :-p

russ_watters said:
I was thinking about the vibrations bit this afternoon - the solution is that the telescope doesn't sit on the trailer! The pier just protrudes through a hole in the floor and has self-leveling hydraulic tripod legs folded into the bottom of the trailer. At least - that's how mine's going to work. :biggrin:
Yep, protruding through the floor is the way to eliminate vibration from the trailer. You just need a method of jacking up the pier and locking the base to the underside of the trailer frame so you can move the trailer.

There're really no need to level the pier accurately, it just needs to be upright enough to remain really stable. The trick is that the head of the pier must be able to rotate and your mount needs to be adjustable in elevation. With these two motions, you can polar-align, no matter how you park your trailer.

Related to My Hero: Waid Mobile Observatory

1. What is "My Hero: Waid Mobile Observatory"?

"My Hero: Waid Mobile Observatory" is a mobile science laboratory and observatory that can be transported to different locations for scientific research and observations. It is equipped with advanced technology and equipment to aid in various scientific studies and observations.

2. Who created the "My Hero: Waid Mobile Observatory"?

The "My Hero: Waid Mobile Observatory" was created by a team of scientists, engineers, and researchers led by Dr. Sarah Waid. It was funded by a grant from the National Science Foundation.

3. What kind of research can be conducted with the "My Hero: Waid Mobile Observatory"?

The "My Hero: Waid Mobile Observatory" is designed to conduct a wide range of scientific research, including atmospheric studies, oceanography, climatology, geology, and astronomy. It is equipped with specialized equipment for each field of study.

4. How is the "My Hero: Waid Mobile Observatory" transported?

The "My Hero: Waid Mobile Observatory" can be transported by land, air, or sea. It is mounted on a specially designed truck for land transportation, can be loaded onto a cargo plane for air transportation, and can also be transported by ship for sea expeditions.

5. Can scientists and researchers use the "My Hero: Waid Mobile Observatory" for their own studies?

Yes, the "My Hero: Waid Mobile Observatory" is available for use by scientists and researchers from all over the world. Interested parties can submit a proposal to the team, detailing their research objectives and how the observatory can assist in their study. The team will assess the proposal and make a decision based on its scientific merit and feasibility.