My Journey: A 25 Y/O Physics and Math Student to Computer Engineer

In summary, the person in the conversation is a sophomore at a private university majoring in Physics and Mathematics. They plan on moving back home to Florida to pursue a degree in Computer Engineering. They have a passion for physics and have studied various subjects on their own. They have concerns about the employability of a physics degree and are considering a double major in EE. They are also interested in publishing their own research in fields such as Riemann metrics and differential geometry. They are seeking advice on how to improve their curriculum and how to start the process of publishing their work. The conversation also includes discussions on the benefits of studying physics on the side and the requirements for studying theoretical physics at the graduate level.
i_emanuel
hi all,

A little bit about myself: I am a sophomore at a small private university. I am about to finish my last quarter. My major is Physics and Mathematics.

I plan on moving back home: Florida, to pursue a Computer Engineering degree. I am 25 years old. I graduated from a good High School with an IB Diploma and GCSEs.

I tested highly on the IQ test (I have a fancy membership to prove it) but I had always been apathetic towards Academia, until I discovered the wonderful world of physics and abstract mathematics. (Thank you, Herman Weyl).

When I graduated High School I wasn't very sure of what I wanted to do, I traveled for a while, went to community college, then transferred to a four year institution were I read my first book on group theory and its applications to QM. I'm about to finish Physics II - Electricity and Magnetism and I've decided to transfer for the following reasons:

1. Many people have told me that a physics BS is not very useful upon graduation since it doesn't really make you employable per se.
2. I want to become a Computer Engineer because I want to work with microprocessors, hardware, O/S and A.I. I love fiddling around with gadgets and electronics; And I also have great love for the theoretical aspects of both physics and mathematics.

I have a great passion for Physics, I've completed cal I, II and Linear Algebra. But I've studied Real Analysis, Complex Analysis, Multivariable Calculus, Diff. Eqs, Group Theory on my own. I have begun an independent study on Differential Geometry. I can't say I understand everything, but I am pretty much a very independent person who has always been known for being intellectually curious.

Now, a lot of you say that 25 is not old, but it sort of is. One of the reasons why I decided no to go the physics route was mainly because I was afraid that at the end of the journey I would find myself unemployed at 28 or so? Not too practical, and trust me, I've made a fair share of mistakes in my life. In addition, If I were interested in a field of physics it would be theoretical physics. At the moment, I am teaching myself the Principle of Least Action, Euler/Lagrange, etc. Along with classical electrodynamics and some General Relativity (tensors), etc.

My grades are decent, but I still have time to recoup. I was contemplating on doing a double major with physics, but I might want to opt to double major in EE, since the latter will be more practical in my situation. The big question is: Does one need to do undergrad in physics in order to study theoretical physics at the grad level? I am also interested in condensed matter and high energy physics - I've heard a master would suffice for these. Any thoughts?

In addition, I have found ample time to do a lot of independent research and wish to one day publish my own work. I've found great interest in Riemman metrics and other fields of modern algebra and differential geometry. How do I start this process of publishing and peer reviews, etc.

Please tell me how I can improve my curriculum and what things I should do when arriving (eventually) to the Engineering program I've opted for.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your second point for transferring into computer engineering is valid and should, on its own be strong enough to warrant your decision. With respect to point number one, however, you should probably look up some actual data rather than relying on word of mouth to make sure that you're making an informed choice.

You can get into graduate study in physics having done your undergraduate work in other, related fields. The drawbacks are that: (1) you may end up having to do some remedial course work, and (2) you may not be as competative as other students who are coming directly from a physics undergraduate program, (3) every school has its own set of rules for what qualifies as "or equivalent" and not all of them may accept computer engineering.

If you are looking for a career as a computer engineer, there is no certain formal level of training you need to study physics on the side. I believe the average starting salary for CEs is over $60k/yr now, so it's not a bad career move if you're into it and can do decently well in school, find an internship, etc.

As long as you have an ABET accredited engineering degree, the double major probably won't play too much of a practical role. If you choose EE or CE, as long as you just aren't sure which you prefer, double majoring in the other vs double majoring in physics probably won't help you any.

One suggestion I'd make is that you might want to look at the education benefits of the companies you apply to with an engineering degree. UTC, for example, (Pratt & Whitney, Sikorsky, etc) will pay 100% for classes you take toward a degree part-time while working. You can study any field, and they'll give you a $10k bonus when you finish the degree. Other companies offer similar benefits, but UTC is probably the most generous. I don't know what options exist for part-time physics study though.

i_emanuel said:
My grades are decent, but I still have time to recoup. I was contemplating on doing a double major with physics, but I might want to opt to double major in EE, since the latter will be more practical in my situation. The big question is: Does one need to do undergrad in physics in order to study theoretical physics at the grad level? I am also interested in condensed matter and high energy physics - I've heard a master would suffice for these. Any thoughts?

You'll need the basic background in physics. It's not technically necessary that the degree be in physics, but you will have to show that you've done the course work.

I've found great interest in Riemman metrics and other fields of modern algebra and differential geometry. How do I start this process of publishing and peer reviews, etc.

Physics is not mathematics, the two fields are *VERY* different when it comes to what constitutes publishable material. Probably the easiest thing to do is to try to get yourself in with an undergraduate research project with some professor that does research that interests you.

Also as far as CS/EE and physics there are areas where there is a lot of overlap. Look for something with a lot of numerical programming, or semiconductor physics. One thing that is really interesting and an active area of research is using field theory methods in condensed matter physics, and if you push your CS major to be more semiconductor oriented, you could get into that.

Thanks so much, I am currently visiting my parents. And have felt a bit nostalgic, I read over my teacher reviews and got depresssed (my senior year was the worst), I have no idea how I got an IB Diploma. I was a terrible student. One of my professors (Chemistry PhD from Cambridge) said: 'it is a pity that you wasted so many opportunities in school, hopefully you will make better use of your future opportunities'. I almost shed a tear. It seems that over the past six or seven years, although enrolled in academic pursuits, I never felt any interest in thriving academically. It wasn't until I discovered Modern Physics, while blindly enrolled as a finance major, that I discovered that mathematics was so much more than just 'numbers'. With physics, I've found an academic playground, and it is so hard for others to understand how my apathetic approach towards school has become an obsession. Seven years later I'm setting sail for a career that will unify my ability for abstract thought and my capacity to 'build' and 'make'. Although, I ask myself why wasn't I smarter before, perhaps I wasn't ready to understand my talents. Since a young kid, I've been known to be playful, curious, and very creative. Music (piano/violin) has been a recurring passion of mine, as well as other artistic/musical pursuits, I've also had recognition for these efforts.

It seems as if all the dots connected, but I hope it's not too late.

I love PF and you are some of the brightest people on the internet, I've already found answers to many of my questions on Lie Algebra and Differential Geometry, all the professors at my school shunned me off, a professor even told me "I don't know anything about Differential Geometry". I am glad I have found a place to share my views, studies, dreams, opinions, etc. I hope we can foster a good friendship. ;)

Last edited:
Hey I thought I'd chime in since I have a pretty similar story and maybe I can add something(I hope?). I did pretty terrible in high school, besides a few science classes, and ended up in a small state college with no major and no ambition, after spending 3 semesters drinking and partying I dropped out with something like 3 transferable classes. Spent the next few years working and taking some classes part time in CS, which began to spark further an interest in math and eventually physics.

I've still made a good deal of academic mistakes but I've now transferred to the best public University in my state and am going for an Astronomy/Physics dual major. Hoping that even with my shady background(F's,W's,etc) I can spend the next 2 years proving myself academically and end up in graduate school in physics.

At the same time I'm 24 now and could get out in one year if I switch my major to applied maths or mathematical computing. This would probably be better career wise at least in the sort term, since I'll be well qualified to go into software jobs, which are very numerous in my area but at the same time the I find the prospect depressing.

Personally, I am leaning toward finishing the physics degree as I'd like to for once push myself academically and see how far I can go.

From the looks of thing you have even more motivation than I do for studying and unless you have pressing needs financially I'd say its definitely not too late to see how far you can go in physics.

Related to My Journey: A 25 Y/O Physics and Math Student to Computer Engineer

1. What inspired you to switch from Physics and Math to Computer Engineering?

I have always been fascinated by the intersection of science and technology. I found myself drawn to the problem-solving and analytical skills required in both fields. However, as I began to explore programming and computer engineering, I realized that it combined my love for math and physics with my interest in technology. The endless possibilities and constant advancements in the field of computer engineering inspired me to make the switch.

2. How did your background in Physics and Math help you in your journey to becoming a Computer Engineer?

My background in Physics and Math provided me with a strong foundation in critical thinking, problem-solving, and mathematical concepts. These skills were essential when learning programming languages and algorithms. Furthermore, my knowledge of physics principles such as electricity and magnetism helped me understand the underlying concepts of computer hardware and circuitry.

3. What challenges did you face during your transition to Computer Engineering?

The biggest challenge I faced was learning a completely new set of skills and concepts. As a physics and math student, I was used to solving problems on paper, but computer engineering required me to think in terms of code and logic. It took some time to adjust to this new way of thinking, but with dedication and practice, I was able to overcome this challenge.

4. What was your favorite project or class during your journey to becoming a Computer Engineer?

One of my favorite classes was Data Structures and Algorithms. It was challenging, but also very rewarding. I enjoyed learning about different data structures and how to efficiently manipulate them to solve problems. My favorite project was creating a web application from scratch, which allowed me to apply my knowledge of programming, databases, and web development.

5. What advice do you have for others who are considering switching to Computer Engineering?

My advice would be to not be intimidated by the field. It may seem overwhelming at first, but with dedication and determination, anyone can learn the necessary skills to become a computer engineer. Start by learning the basics of programming and don't be afraid to ask for help or seek out resources online. Also, don't be discouraged if you encounter challenges, as they are part of the learning process. Keep practicing and never stop learning!