My revised solution:b. 1c. 10d. 5e. 15

In summary, there are 27 repeating three-digit numbers that can be formed using the numbers {1, 2, 3}, and 6 non-repeating three-digit numbers that can be formed. For 4 tosses of a fair coin, there is 1 way to get more than three tails, 12 ways to get fewer than three tails, 5 ways to get at least three tails, and 15 ways to get no more than three tails. For a six question true-or-false test, there are 64 possible ways to mark the answer sheet. A permutation is needed for a telephone number and a Social Security number, while a combination is needed for a hand of cards in poker. For a race with
Crunkd
1. (a) How many repeating three-digit numbers can be formed using the numbers {1, 2, 3}?
(b) How many non-repeating three-digit numbers can be formed using the numbers {1, 2, 3}?

My solutions:
a. 3 x 3 x 3=27
b. 3 x 2 x 1 =6

2. (a) Construct a tree diagram for 4 tosses of a fair coin.
(b) How many ways can you get more than three tails?
(c) How many ways can you get fewer than three tails?
(d) How many ways can you get at least three tails?
(e) How many ways can you get no more than three tails?

My solutions:
b. 1
c. 12
d. 5
e. 15

3. Determine the number of possible ways to mark your answer sheet for each test:
(a) a six question true-or-false test.

My solutions:

a. 6 questions and two choices so 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2= 64

6. Decide whether a permuation or a combination is needed:
(a) a telephone number
(b) a Social Security number
(c) a hand of cards in poker
(d) the combination on a student gym locker

My solutions:
a. permutation
b. permutation
c. combination
d. permutation

7. How many different ways could first, second, and third place finishers occur in a race with
12 runners competing?

My solution: 1st 2nd 3rd, 12 runners
(12
3 ) = 220 ways
n!/k! (n-k)!

8. An ATM requires a four-digit PIN number using the digits 0-9. How many such PINs
have no repeated digits?

My solution:
nPk= n!/n-k
10 numbers, 4 digits
(10
4)= 5040

Physics news on Phys.org
Hm, seems you might need to check 2c: there are sixteen possible outcomes; four different ways to have three tails, and one possible way to have four tails. Right?

I mean, clearly 2c + 2d = 16, so one of those answers must be wrong.

Related to My revised solution:b. 1c. 10d. 5e. 15

1. What is enumerative combinatorics?

Enumerative combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that deals with counting and organizing combinations and permutations of objects. It is concerned with finding the number of possible arrangements, selections, or subsets of a given set of objects.

2. What are some key concepts in enumerative combinatorics?

Some key concepts in enumerative combinatorics include permutations, combinations, subsets, and partitions. These concepts are used to calculate and organize the number of ways in which objects can be arranged or selected.

3. How is enumerative combinatorics used in real-life applications?

Enumerative combinatorics has many real-life applications, such as in computer science, statistics, genetics, and economics. It is used to solve problems involving arranging data, selecting samples, and organizing information in a systematic manner.

4. What are some common techniques used in enumerative combinatorics?

Some common techniques used in enumerative combinatorics include the multiplication principle, combinations and permutations, binomial coefficients, and generating functions. These techniques help to simplify and solve complex counting problems.

5. What are some challenges in solving problems in enumerative combinatorics?

One of the main challenges in solving problems in enumerative combinatorics is determining the correct counting method to use. Another challenge is dealing with large numbers and finding efficient ways to calculate and represent them. Additionally, some problems may have multiple solutions, making it important to carefully consider the context and assumptions.

Back