My Theory of Gravity: Mass Causes Time Dilation & Attraction

In summary, the conversation discusses different theories and explanations for gravity. One theory suggests that attraction between objects is caused by differences in time and this can also explain the bending of light near large objects. Another theory proposes that mass itself does not cause attraction, but rather causes time dilation which then leads to attraction. The heavier the particle, the more likely it is to exist in a particular time-space. The conversation ends with a reminder that speculation about new theories is not allowed on the forum.
Boeley

I've been trying to satisfy my curiosity about gravity for some time now. And I would like to share what I believe to be how gravity works.

Attraction between objects is caused by differences in time. We all know speed = distance / time, so if an object at rest is experiencing different times across it, it will tend to accelerate in the direction which time is slowest. Because the object is being accelerated at different rates across it, this would also explain stretching caused by "gravity".

Light traveling near large objects would bend toward the slower time as well. While across an entire beam the light never travels less than c, the light closest to the body will travel through slower time, thus causing it to appear to bend (slower time means less distance traveled - if it all traveled the same distance, the light in slower time would be greater than c). It travels in a straight light through space-time, but appears to bend to us.

Mass does not cause attraction, mass causes time dilation which causes attraction. So how does mass cause time dilation?

Matter occupies space-time. Space-time and matter cannot occupy the same space, so matter pushes space-time out of a particular space and causes a "bend" in space-time - time dilation. The more dense a particle is, the more space-time it displaces, the more time dilation there is, the more attraction.

So it would be accurate to say that a very, very small particle occupies only a tiny fraction of space-time. Or that a very, very small particle exists in a particular place in some space-times, but in no place in particular in others. The heavier the particle, the more likely it is to exist in a particular time-space.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, feedback would be most welcome. I hope I've explained it well enough.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dear PF user,

Although it is not clear whether you are talking about a particular interpretation of the formalism of general relativity or whether you are vaguely proposing a new theory of gravity, we would like to remind you that in most sections of PF speculation about new theories in the way you do is prohibited - this is explained in the PF rules you agreed upon when you signed up. So we will stop the discussion here.

Your theory is definitely interesting and well thought out. It takes into account some key concepts in physics, such as time dilation and the relationship between mass and space-time. However, there are a few areas that may need further clarification or consideration.

Firstly, while it is true that differences in time can cause acceleration and attraction, it is important to note that this is not the only factor at play in the phenomenon of gravity. In fact, gravity is usually described as a curvature of space-time caused by the presence of mass. This curvature affects the motion of objects and can lead to the appearance of attraction between them.

Additionally, your explanation for the bending of light near large objects may need some further development. While it is true that light travels at a constant speed, its path can still be affected by the curvature of space-time. This is due to the principle of least action, which states that light will always take the path that minimizes the time it takes to travel from one point to another. In the case of a massive object, this path will be curved due to the curvature of space-time.

Furthermore, your theory does not fully explain why objects with larger masses have a stronger gravitational pull. While it is true that denser objects will displace more space-time, there are other factors at play as well. For example, the distance between two objects also plays a role in the strength of their gravitational attraction. This is described by the inverse square law, which states that the force of gravity decreases as the distance between two objects increases.

Overall, your theory is a thought-provoking and unique perspective on the concept of gravity. It may benefit from further exploration and refinement, but it is a great starting point for understanding this complex phenomenon. Keep exploring and learning, and who knows, maybe one day your theory will become a part of the scientific understanding of gravity!

FAQ: My Theory of Gravity: Mass Causes Time Dilation & Attraction

1. What is your theory of gravity?

My theory of gravity states that mass causes time dilation and attraction. In other words, the more massive an object is, the more it warps the fabric of space-time, causing other objects to be attracted to it.

2. How does your theory differ from traditional theories of gravity?

Traditional theories of gravity, such as Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, state that gravity is a force that exists between objects with mass. However, my theory proposes that gravity is not a force, but rather a result of the warping of space-time by massive objects.

3. Can you provide evidence for your theory?

There is significant evidence to support my theory, including the observations of time dilation around massive objects, such as black holes. Additionally, the recently discovered gravitational waves provide further evidence for the distortion of space-time by massive objects.

4. How does your theory explain the phenomenon of gravitational attraction?

According to my theory, massive objects warp the fabric of space-time, creating a "valley" that other objects with less mass will naturally roll into, causing the appearance of attraction. This is similar to how a bowling ball on a mattress will create a dip that smaller objects will be pulled towards.

5. What are the potential implications of your theory?

If my theory is proven to be true, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. It could also lead to the development of new technologies that harness the power of gravity in different ways.