Mystery of the Quote: Who Said "Science is Everything We Understand?

In summary, the conversation is about a quote that the speaker has been looking for, which states that "Science is everything we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else." The source of the quote is uncertain, with some sources attributing it to David Knuth and others to Donald Knuth. The majority of sources say Donald, but the speaker is unsure if this is because he is more famous or if there was confusion between the two. The speaker mentions a David Knuth who works in technology and asks if anyone knows who said the quote. Another person responds, saying they have read the book of D.E.Knuth and that he has made great contributions in computer science. They are unsure which of the two Kn
0rthodontist
Science Advisor
I have found a quote I've been looking for. It's the lower one in my signature right now: "Science is everything we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else."

However I don't know just who said it. Most web sources say David Knuth, but some say Donald Knuth. Of the two, Donald is a lot more famous, but I don't know if the quote is attributed to him by a minority of sources because Donald is famous, David said it, and some people were confused, or if the majority of sources unthinkingly quoted one original source that said David and it was really Donald who said it. There is a David Knuth who works in technology, according to Google. Anyone know who said this quote?

Physics news on Phys.org
Does it really matter who said it...

i have read the book of D.E.Knuth..has great contribution in computer science,,especially Algorithms...dont know he is which one out of these two

I did...

...but I probably wasn't the first... :rolleyes:

Does this help?
http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~wilf/foreword.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
jimmysnyder said:
Does this help?
http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~wilf/foreword.pdf
Yep, that helps a lot!:smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Mystery of the Quote: Who Said "Science is Everything We Understand?

1. Who said "Science is Everything We Understand?"

The quote "Science is Everything We Understand" is commonly attributed to physicist and Nobel laureate, Richard Feynman. However, the exact origin of the quote is uncertain and it is possible that it was a paraphrase of his ideas rather than his exact words.

2. What does the quote mean?

The quote is a reflection of the idea that science is a method of understanding the world around us. It suggests that everything that is known through science is a result of our understanding and interpretation of natural phenomena.

3. Is science really everything we understand?

While science has allowed us to gain a deep understanding of many aspects of the natural world, it would be inaccurate to say that it encompasses everything we understand. There are still many mysteries and unanswered questions that science has yet to fully explain.

4. How does this quote relate to the scientific method?

The quote highlights the role of the scientific method in gaining understanding of the world. The scientific method involves making observations, forming hypotheses, conducting experiments, and analyzing data in order to gain a deeper understanding of natural phenomena.

5. Why is this quote important in the field of science?

This quote serves as a reminder of the fundamental principles of science and the importance of understanding the world through observation and experimentation. It also emphasizes the idea that science is an ongoing process, with new discoveries and understandings constantly being made.