(n+1)=(n+1)n factorial problem

• Thread starter ectrhoi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factorial
In summary, the conversation discusses factorials and how to simplify them. It is mentioned that (n+1)!=(n+1)n!, and the factorial is written out as a product. The conversation also touches on simplifying (2n)! and (2(n+1))!, and the correct way to expand factorials is explained.
ectrhoi
First of all apologize for my english, I'm french and I'll do my best to be understandable.

So my question is about factorials.
how do you manage to say that (n+1)!=(n+1)n! ? I tried to develop this but my brain is just not able to understand how I'm suppose to do. Could someone please show me how to develop them?

I'm actually doing a problem that requires me to "symplify" (is it the word?) (2n)! and (2(n+1))! and I'm stuck there.

thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Just write out the factorial as a product:

[tex]n! = (n)(n-1)(n-2)\ldots(1)[/tex]

[tex](n+1)! = ?[/tex]

ectrhoi said:
First of all apologize for my english, I'm french and I'll do my best to be understandable.
You are doing very well. Your English is much better than my French, which is almost nonexistent.
ectrhoi said:
So my question is about factorials.
how do you manage to say that (n+1)!=(n+1)n!
(n + 1)! = (n + 1)*n*(n - 1)*(n - 2)*(n - 3)* ... * 4*3*2*1. Since n! = n*(n - 1)*(n - 2)*(n - 3)* ... * 4*3*2*1, it should be evident that](n + 1)! = (n + 1)*n!
ectrhoi said:
? I tried to develop this but my brain is just not able to understand how I'm suppose to do. Could someone please show me how to develop them?

I'm actually doing a problem that requires me to "symplify" (is it the word?) (2n)! and (2(n+1))! and I'm stuck there.

thanks for your help.
The word is "simplify." (2n)! = (2n)(2n-1)(2n-2)(2n-3)...(n+1)(n)(n-1)(n-2)...(3)(2)(1). Note that this is not the same as 2n!, which is 2(n!). Can you continue from here?

Mark44 said:
You are doing very well. Your English is much better than my French, which is almost nonexistent.
(n + 1)! = (n + 1)*n*(n - 1)*(n - 2)*(n - 3)* ... * 4*3*2*1. Since n! = n*(n - 1)*(n - 2)*(n - 3)* ... * 4*3*2*1, it should be evident that](n + 1)! = (n + 1)*n!

The word is "simplify." (2n)! = (2n)(2n-1)(2n-2)(2n-3)...(n+1)(n)(n-1)(n-2)...(3)(2)(1). Note that this is not the same as 2n!, which is 2(n!). Can you continue from here?
From what I understood from the (n+1)!=(n+1)n! example I would develop (2n)! like this: (2n)(n)(n-1)(n-2)...(3)(2)(1) but obviously it isn't the case?

Thank you very much for your help, I'm feeling I'm on the way of understanding!

ectrhoi said:
From what I understood from the (n+1)!=(n+1)n! example I would develop (2n)! like this: (2n)(n)(n-1)(n-2)...(3)(2)(1) but obviously it isn't the case?
Right, that's not the case. The expansion above is omitting all of the factors (2n-1)(2n-2)...(n+1)
ectrhoi said:
Thank you very much for your help, I'm feeling I'm on the way of understanding!

Related to (n+1)=(n+1)n factorial problem

1. What is the meaning of (n+1)=(n+1)n factorial?

The expression (n+1)=(n+1)n factorial is a mathematical equation that represents the factorial of a number. The factorial of a number is the product of that number and all the positive integers smaller than it. For example, 5 factorial (5!) is equal to 5*4*3*2*1 = 120.

2. How do you solve (n+1)=(n+1)n factorial?

To solve (n+1)=(n+1)n factorial, you can use the mathematical concept of simplifying equations. In this case, you can simplify the equation by dividing both sides by (n+1). This will result in the simplified equation of n! = n factorial, which can then be solved using basic algebraic operations.

3. What is the value of n in (n+1)=(n+1)n factorial?

The value of n in (n+1)=(n+1)n factorial is not specified in the equation. This means that the equation can apply to any value of n. In general, the value of n can be any positive integer, but it can also be a negative number or a fraction depending on the context of the problem.

4. What are some real-life applications of (n+1)=(n+1)n factorial?

(n+1)=(n+1)n factorial has many applications in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and computer science. In mathematics, it is used to calculate the number of permutations and combinations in a given set of objects. In physics, it is used to calculate the probability of certain events occurring. In computer science, it is used in algorithms and data structures to optimize time and space complexity.

5. Are there any special rules for solving (n+1)=(n+1)n factorial?

There are no special rules for solving (n+1)=(n+1)n factorial. It follows the same rules of simplifying equations and applying basic algebraic operations. However, it is important to keep in mind that the value of n can vary, so the solution may also vary depending on the given value of n.