N-pole excited states of the proton?

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence and properties of excited states for the proton and other particles. It is mentioned that the PDG is a reliable source for information on excited states, and that the \Deltas are not truly excited states of the nucleons due to their different quantum numbers. It is also noted that studying excited states can be challenging due to their short lifetimes and broad decay widths. There is some disagreement on whether the \Deltas should be considered excited states or a new family of particles.
MTd2
Gold Member
Does the proton have n-pole excited states? Or n-pole excited states exist only for A>1?

Physics news on Phys.org
MTd2 said:
Does the proton have n-pole excited states? Or n-pole excited states exist only for A>1?

Yes, http://pdglive.lbl.gov/listing.brl?fsizein=1&exp=Y&group=BXXX005 lists states with up to L=5. The higher states are presumably too short-lived to have been significantly measured.

Last edited by a moderator:
MTd2 said:
That's interesting. Because, if you search for excited states of the proton , you will find only the delta+ as an excitation, like this:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=533409

Obviously you were searching in the wrong place. The PDG is the right place to go. You can follow the references given there for more information that's not in their summary tables.

Incidentally, the [itex]\Delta[/itex]s have isospin 3/2, so they're not really excited states of the nucleon. They are a new family of particles.

The decay chains include the delta as intermediary states to proton. I think it is not very insightful to try to distinguish families of particles.

MTd2 said:
The decay chains include the delta as intermediary states to proton. I think it is not very insightful to try to distinguish families of particles.

Yes and the muon decays to an electron, but we do not say that the muon is an excited state of the electron. It is precisely the quantum numbers like isospin that distinguish between families of particles.

fzero said:
Yes and the muon decays to an electron, but we do not say that the muon is an excited state of the electron. It is precisely the quantum numbers like isospin that distinguish between families of particles.

But the muon, as far as the SM is concerned, is a fundamental particle. Those are excited states, just like the nucleons in a nucleus, or electrons in orbitals.

MTd2 said:
But the muon, as far as the SM is concerned, is a fundamental particle. Those are excited states, just like the nucleons in a nucleus, or electrons in orbitals.

Yes that's true and so that was a bad example. It's not really wrong to think of the appropriate Deltas as excited states of the nucleons. They are excited states of uud and udd, but differ from the nucleons in that they have all quark spins aligned. So they are analogous to hyperfine structure in the hydrogen atom, rather than radial or angular momentum excitement. The uuu and ddd Deltas are of course not excited states of the nucleons.

Just calling the Deltas excited states seems to miss some important structure, which is the reason I was against the idea. I should not have said that it was wrong.

As an aside, the decay chains really can be misleading if you attempt to declare some high energy state an excited state. For example, both [itex]\Delta^+[/itex] and the charmed meson [itex]\Lambda_c^+[/itex] can decay to [itex]p\pi^+ \pi^-[/itex].

I am interested in the high state itself, figure out its properties, energies, etc. Not in how to detect it, so, I am not thinking in how false positive signals would be filtered.

MTd2 said:
I am interested in the high state itself, figure out its properties, energies, etc. Not in how to detect it, so, I am not thinking in how false positive signals would be filtered.

I don't believe that there are any reliable ways to study hadron spectroscopy other than on the lattice. For example http://inspirehep.net/record/810135?ln=en is a recent study of the excited nucleon states in a lattice model. You can get get the citations to that paper from the link to search for any followup work.

The detection problem with very high level excited states is that the decay width is very large when compared to the mass of the state. So these are very broad bumps in the spectrum and can't be resolved against the background of other events.

fzero said:
Incidentally, the [itex]\Delta[/itex]s have isospin 3/2, so they're not really excited states of the nucleon. They are a new family of particles.
I don't agree.

The Δ+ has the same quark content as the proton (uud), so it is a 'proton-excitation in spin- and isospin-space'. The same applies to the Δ0 which is an excitation of the neutron. This can be seen by the decay channels

[tex]\Delta^+ \to p+\gamma[/tex]

[tex]\Delta^0 \to n+\gamma[/tex]

which are allowed but suppressed by a branching ratio < 1% compared to nucleon-pion decay channel with ~100%.

Likes royfultun

Related to N-pole excited states of the proton?

1. What are N-pole excited states of the proton?

N-pole excited states of the proton refer to the different energy levels that a proton can occupy when it is in an excited state. These states are characterized by the number of nodes (or poles) in the wave function describing the proton's energy.

2. How are N-pole excited states of the proton created?

N-pole excited states of the proton can be created through various processes, such as collisions with other particles or absorption of energy. These processes cause the proton to absorb energy and transition to a higher energy state.

3. What is the significance of N-pole excited states of the proton?

N-pole excited states of the proton are important in understanding the behavior of protons in different environments, such as in the nucleus of an atom. They also play a crucial role in nuclear reactions and can provide insights into the structure of nucleons.

4. How do N-pole excited states of the proton differ from ground state?

The main difference between N-pole excited states and the ground state of the proton is the energy level. The ground state has the lowest energy level, while excited states have higher energy levels. Additionally, the wave function and properties of the proton may also differ in the excited state.

5. Can N-pole excited states of the proton be observed?

Yes, N-pole excited states of the proton can be observed through various experimental techniques, such as scattering experiments or spectroscopy. These techniques can provide information about the energy levels and properties of the proton in its excited state.