Nailing down related rates questions

In summary, when trying to do these types of questions, it's helpful to first break the question down into simpler equations, and then work on translating that information into the question.
KataKoniK
Hi,

I am terrible when it comes to doing these questions. I was wondering if you guys have any tips on how to do these questions. Like for example, just say there's a question like the following:

Water is poured into a reservoir in teh shape of a cone 6ft. tall with a radius of 4ft. If water level is rising at 0.5ft/s. How fast is the water being poured at the instant the depth is 2ft?

When I see that kind of question, I am clueless on how to even start it out. Is there a trick to doing them? I just don't understand the concept literally.

Any hlep would be great thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT:
[tex] V(r(t),h(t))=\frac{\pi r^{2}(t)h(t)}{3} [/tex]

U're interested in the quantity
[tex] \frac{dV(r(t),h(t))}{dt}|_{h=2ft} [/tex]

Daniel.

The trick is to first transcribe all the given data into equations and write them down. Then write down in the same form, what the question (the desired quantity) translates to.

Do this for the given example and then you'll see how the given data can be related to the required quantity.

When practicing these sorts of problems, don't even bother trying to solve them, just practice translating the problems into a mathematical question.

Why? It's too easy to get distracted by solving the problem, and forget to work on the part you need to practice!

The first thing you have to do is find the relationship between r and h in this case (6/4)=(h/r) so r=((2h)/3), with this relationship of everypoint on the cone, you can plug back into your original formula for the volume of a cone, plugging if for r in terms of h, then simplify, take the derivative, and solve with the infomation given.

Related to Nailing down related rates questions

1. What are related rates questions?

Related rates questions involve finding the rate of change of one variable with respect to another variable in a given problem. These types of questions are common in calculus and often involve real-world scenarios.

2. How do you identify a related rates question?

A related rates question will typically involve multiple variables that are changing with time, and there will be a relationship between these variables that can be described by an equation. The question will also ask for the rate of change of one variable in terms of the rate of change of another variable.

3. What is the process for solving a related rates question?

The process for solving a related rates question involves identifying the variables, writing an equation that relates these variables, differentiating the equation with respect to time, and then plugging in the known values to solve for the unknown rate of change.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving related rates questions?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving related rates questions include not properly differentiating the equation, using incorrect units for the rates, and not carefully considering the given information before attempting to solve the problem.

5. How can I practice and improve my skills in solving related rates questions?

The best way to practice and improve your skills in solving related rates questions is to work on a variety of different problems and to carefully check your work for any mistakes. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or practicing with a study group can also be beneficial.