Naive picture of understanding Spin-Orbit Coupling

In summary, the naive analogy used by the speaker is that the electron sees the nucleus rotating about itself in its own frame of reference, which creates an effective magnetic field from the electron's perspective. This analogy is not exactly correct, but can be intuitively understood. There is a conceptual error in the analogy, which is that it is a rotating frame of reference. This error raises some warning flags for special relativity, but the analogy is still generally useful.
sokrates
I was trying to explain the origin of spin-orbit coupling to a beginning student and I used the following naive analogy:

An electron orbiting around the nucleus "sees" the nucleus rotating about itself (the electron) in its own (electron's) reference frame, thus this is like a current loop about the electron and this "current loop" causes an effective magnetic field from the electron's perspective.

I kind of can see why this is not exactly correct (because of the classical references it makes), but could this at least be an intuitive view of understanding it?

I know spin-orbit coupling can be rigorously derived from relativistic QM (Dirac eq.) but I usually use the Schrodinger equation with a few higher order perturbative terms such as Rashba and Dresselhaus couplings...

It's been a while since I looked at special relativity so I might be making a serious conceptual error in my simple analogy, any ideas?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sokrates said:
I was trying to explain the origin of spin-orbit coupling to a beginning student and I used the following naive analogy:

An electron orbiting around the nucleus "sees" the nucleus rotating about itself in its own reference frame, thus this is like a current loop about the electron and this "current loop" causes an effective magnetic field from the electron's perspective.

I kind of can see why this is not exactly correct (because of the classical references it makes), but could this at least be an intuitive view of understanding it?

I know spin-orbit coupling can be rigorously derived from relativistic QM (Dirac eq.) but I usually use the Schrodinger equation with a few higher order perturbative terms such as Rashba and Dresselhaus couplings...

It's been a while since I looked at special relativity so I might be making a serious conceptual error in my simple analogy, any ideas?

yes. you will miss a factor of 1/2 called the Thomas correction... or Thomas precession.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_precession

Looks okay, except I got confused where you wrote 'nucleus rotating about itself' and thought first you were making an analogy of nuclear spin (which isn't involved). You must've meant the electron as 'itself'.

AFAIK, your analogy is how it's usually rationalized. Looking in the few textbooks I have around, I can't find any examples of them not using a similar analogy. There is an error, which is that it's a rotating frame of reference, which raises some SR warning flags. You naturally need the whole relativistic calculation to do it all correctly, but since there's quite some learning to be done between first learning of spin-orbit coupling and learning to do relativistic QM calculations, I don't think it'd be worth going into, apart from mentioning.

Right, I tried to say the nucleus rotating about the electron, itself...

It's good to know it's commonly rationalized this way, now I have an intuitive way of predicting why spin-orbit coupling is more observable in HEAVIER atoms than lighter atoms (nuclei)... It's like turning up the current in the current loop (more protons are revolving around the electron) and making the induced B-field stronger.

Thanks for the comments and insights axlm, and olgranpappy.

Related to Naive picture of understanding Spin-Orbit Coupling

1. What is spin-orbit coupling?

Spin-orbit coupling is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where the spin of an electron, which is a fundamental property related to its angular momentum, interacts with its orbital motion around an atomic nucleus. This interaction results in a coupling between the two motions, causing the energy levels of the electron to split.

2. How does spin-orbit coupling affect atomic and molecular properties?

Spin-orbit coupling can have a significant impact on the electronic structure and properties of atoms and molecules. It can lead to the splitting of energy levels, which affects the absorption and emission spectra of atoms and molecules. It also affects the magnetic properties, such as magnetic moment and anisotropy, of atoms and molecules.

3. What is the difference between spin-orbit coupling and spin-spin coupling?

Spin-orbit coupling is the interaction between the spin and orbital motion of an electron, while spin-spin coupling is the interaction between the spins of two or more electrons. Spin-spin coupling is responsible for creating spin states, such as singlet and triplet states, in molecules, while spin-orbit coupling affects the energy levels of these states.

4. How is spin-orbit coupling measured or observed experimentally?

Spin-orbit coupling can be measured or observed through various experimental techniques, such as absorption spectroscopy, magnetic resonance spectroscopy, and electron spin resonance spectroscopy. These techniques allow scientists to study the energy levels and properties affected by spin-orbit coupling.

5. Can spin-orbit coupling be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, spin-orbit coupling can be controlled or manipulated through external fields, such as electric and magnetic fields. By applying these fields, scientists can modify the energy levels and properties affected by spin-orbit coupling, which can be useful in various applications, such as spin-based electronics and quantum computing.