Name on Math degree, what is better: Applied or general?

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between a general math degree and an "applied and computational" degree in terms of coursework and value. The speaker mentions that they can graduate sooner with a general math degree and that the main difference in courses is a numerical analysis sequence. They also mention that the theoretical courses taken may not be credited towards the applied and computational degree. The value of the degree title is also discussed, with the suggestion that an applied math degree may be more valuable for job opportunities. However, the speaker notes that as long as they have the necessary coursework and good GRE scores, they should be fine for grad school regardless of the degree title. The conversation ends with a question about the possibility of taking the numerical sequence after completing the
Mathmaybe
So I want to go into applied mathematics, I can either get a general math degree or an "applied and computational" degree. Does the degree title make a difference?

The general math degree I can graduate a term sooner with, the main differences in the courses is that for the applied and computational degree I take a numerical analysis sequence and don't get credit for some of the theoretical courses I took .

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do the general one, you can always do research in applied math with a pure math degree.

Course wise I am still going to be exiting with two terms of abstract algebra, 2 terms of advanced calculus and a years worth of real analysis so in terms of theory I won't be short on it. It's more an issue of degree title, which has more value?

Depends. If you want to do grad school in Math probably the Math degree. If you want to get a job probably applied math. Either way, as long as you have the coursework and good GREs you'll probably be fine for grad school.

Is that a two year course? Can you take the numerical sequence after its conclusion? That would be my preference.

Related to Name on Math degree, what is better: Applied or general?

1. What is the difference between an Applied and General Math degree?

An Applied Math degree focuses on the practical application of mathematical concepts and theories to real-world problems, while a General Math degree covers a broader range of mathematical topics without a specific emphasis on applications.

2. Which type of Math degree is more marketable in the job market?

Both Applied and General Math degrees are highly sought after in the job market, as they provide a strong foundation in critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It ultimately depends on your career goals and interests.

3. Can I switch from a General to an Applied Math degree, or vice versa?

It is possible to switch between the two types of Math degrees, depending on the policies of your institution. However, keep in mind that there may be different course requirements and it may delay your graduation.

4. Will I have different career opportunities with an Applied vs General Math degree?

Both types of Math degrees can lead to a variety of career opportunities. Applied Math degrees may be more suited for careers in industries such as finance, engineering, or data analysis, while General Math degrees may be useful for careers in education, research, or statistics.

5. Which type of Math degree is more challenging?

Both Applied and General Math degrees require a strong foundation in mathematics and critical thinking skills. The level of difficulty may vary depending on your strengths and interests. It is important to choose a degree that you are passionate about and willing to put in the effort to succeed.