Naming Compounds: How to Write (NH4)+ Al3+ SO4 2-

• Thread starter minimario
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Compounds
In summary, naming compounds such as Ammonium Aluminium Sulfate involves remembering the formula (NH4)Al(SO4)2, with variations in the amount of hydration waters determined experimentally. There are no specific rules for determining the amount of hydration waters.
minimario
How do you name compounds such as Ammonium Aluminium Sulfate?

It should first be (NH4)+ then Al 3+ and SO4 2-, but how do you put then together? How do you know it is [latex]NH_4 AL (SO_4)_2[/latex] instead of, say, [latex] (NH_4)_3 Al (SO_4)_3 [/latex]?

Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I am afraid it is one of the things you have to remember. That is, you don't have to remember every possible salt separately, most mixed salts containing ammonium and Me3+ have NH4Me(SO4)2 formula. But when it comes to hydration waters there are no rules (or more precisely, the rule is "whatever crystal form has the lowest energy" - but calculating crystal energy is so difficult, it is easier to prepare the salt and determine amount of water experimentally).

FAQ: Naming Compounds: How to Write (NH4)+ Al3+ SO4 2-

1. What are the cation and anion in this compound?

The cation is (NH4)+ and the anion is SO4 2-.

2. How do you determine the charge of the cation and anion?

The charge of the cation can be determined by referring to the periodic table and its group number. For example, (NH4)+ has a charge of +1 because it is in group 1. The charge of the anion can be determined by balancing the overall charge of the compound. In this case, since Al3+ has a charge of +3, SO4 2- must have a charge of -2.

3. How do you write the formula for this compound?

The formula for this compound is (NH4)3Al(SO4)2.

4. How do you name this compound?

The name of this compound is ammonium aluminum sulfate.

5. How do you balance the charges in this compound?

The charges in this compound are already balanced with a total charge of 0. (NH4)+ has a charge of +1 and (NH4)3 has a charge of +3, while Al3+ has a charge of +3 and SO4 2- has a charge of -2.

Back