Naming the following benzene structure

In summary, the conversation discusses the naming of a chemical structure, specifically isopropyl-2-chlorobenzoate and 2-chloroisopropylbenzoate. There is confusion over the placement of the chlorine substituent and whether it should be specified as attached to the isopropyl group or the benzene ring. The conclusion is that 2-chloroisopropylbenzoate may not be specific enough and isopropyl-2-chlorobenzoate clarifies that the chlorine is attached to the isopropyl group.
chirumu

Homework Statement

chem.png

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

i understand that benzoate is derived from carboxylic acid (COOH) to which isopropyl has replaced the H, forming a benzoate substituent to which we derive the parent name of the structure. I understand that Chloro is the name for the Cl substituent and that it is joined to C2. What i don't understand is why the structure is called:

isopropyl-2-chlorobenzoate

as opposed to

2-chloroisopropylbenzoate

does it possibly have something to do with the fact that 2-chloroisopropylbenzoate does not specify whether the Cl substituent is joined to C2 on isopropyl or benzene? Or does the isopropyl group take priority over the Cl group?

isopropyl-2-chlorobenzoate isn't alphabetised and that's what confuses me the most here.

Not quite sure and in need of a little help. Thankyou.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
chirumu said:
does it possibly have something to do with the fact that 2-chloroisopropylbenzoate does not specify whether the Cl substituent is joined to C2 on isopropyl or benzene?

That would be my understanding - chloroisopropyl suggests to me chlorine attached to isopropyl, not to the benzene ring.

Related to Naming the following benzene structure

1. What is the structure of benzene?

The structure of benzene is a six-carbon ring with alternating single and double bonds between each carbon atom.

2. How is benzene named?

Benzene is named according to the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) rules. The name is based on the number and placement of substituent groups on the benzene ring.

3. What are the common substituent groups in benzene?

Common substituent groups in benzene include methyl, ethyl, phenyl, and halogens such as chlorine and bromine.

4. How do you determine the position of substituent groups on a benzene ring?

The position of substituent groups on a benzene ring is determined by numbering the carbons in the ring starting from the point where the double bonds are closest together. This is usually done in a clockwise or counterclockwise direction.

5. Can benzene have more than one substituent group?

Yes, benzene can have multiple substituent groups attached to its ring. In this case, the substituents are named alphabetically and their positions are indicated by numbers separated by commas.

Back