Nanotech: physics and materials science or bioengineering?

In summary, the conversation is about a student in a liberal arts college planning to take a 3/2 engineering program, majoring in physics and some form of engineering after 3 years. The student is interested in nanotechnology and is seeking recommendations for a book on the subject and advice on which engineering field to choose for their second major. The conversation also discusses the differences between materials science and bioengineering, and suggests that BME or MSE would be good choices for pursuing nanotechnology.
Animastryfe
The title should give a rough overview of my question.

I am going to a liberal arts college (Wesleyan university) and shall take the 3/2 engineering program, which means a double major in physics and some kind of engineering AFTER 3 years and getting my BA in physics. So I should be getting a BA in physics in 3 years, and a BS in engineering in 2 years. I'm very sure that I want to go into nanotechnology, which I understand is a very broad term.

My question is, what engineering should I take for my second undergraduate major? Part of the reason I'm asking this question is that I'm not very clear on the sub-fields in nanotechnology. Does anyone have recommendations for a book that provides a good starting point for someone interested in nanotechnology? I mean something a bit deeper than popular science books, but not something that would require years of college to understand. Perhaps the equivalent of Feynman's QED?

I left out electrical engineering because I am also quite sure that I don't want to go into nanoelectronics (well, not focus on it, anyway). I'm also leaning towards nanomedicine and molecular nanotechnology, which I sort of understand as being another very broad term.

What would the differences be if I took materials science instead of bioengineering (or any other kind of engineering) for my second undergraduate degree, and how big of a difference would it be? I've taken both IB physics HL and chemistry HL, so would the lack of biology hurt me in three years if I decide to take bioengineering?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think materials science is appropriate for what you want to do. From my experience, it would be much more applicable if you were interested in electronics. ChemE and BME seem most appropriate of all the engineering fields.

FirstYearGrad said:
I don't think materials science is appropriate for what you want to do. From my experience, it would be much more applicable if you were interested in electronics. ChemE and BME seem most appropriate of all the engineering fields.

Thank you very much for your reply. I specifically mentioned materials science because I generally see many materials scientists/engineers in university nanotech research groups. However, I've really only looked at something like 2 universities about that, as many don't seem to have a formal group.

uhn? I thought material science is ALL about nanotech, at least that is how my friends talk about it, and their courses titles look like.

btw, although there are many branches in material science, normally, chemistry and material science is the best combination.

millitiz said:
uhn? I thought material science is ALL about nanotech, at least that is how my friends talk about it, and their courses titles look like.

I never said it wasn't, just that it isn't good for what the OP was trying to do specifically.

Would this be a fair simplification?

Materials science has a lot to do with nanotech, but it's more suited for the electronics/physics-y side of nanotech?

Animastryfe said:
Would this be a fair simplification?

Materials science has a lot to do with nanotech, but it's more suited for the electronics/physics-y side of nanotech?

I think it's fair to say that there are more materials scientists from a physics/EE background, but materials science has become so interdisciplinary that it's really all about what you want to make of it. Undergraduate classes will cover both physics and chemistry. As an MSE graduate student, my work has been entirely chemistry-focused (essentially, synthesis of polymer nanocomposites), as has my coursework for the most part. What degree plan is appropriate for you would depend on the school, because some materials departments are more "traditional" than others (i.e., more centered on physics and less overlap with chemistry and biology).

I think BME or MSE would be good choices. BME would almost certainly be a better route to pursue nanomedicine, but molecular nanotechnology (as I'm familiar with it) is accessible from either major. Chem E would also be a good choice, but from what I understand the classes are oriented more towards process design rather than the structure of materials and their design on an atomic/molecular level.

jr1038 said:
I think it's fair to say that there are more materials scientists from a physics/EE background, but materials science has become so interdisciplinary that it's really all about what you want to make of it. Undergraduate classes will cover both physics and chemistry. As an MSE graduate student, my work has been entirely chemistry-focused (essentially, synthesis of polymer nanocomposites), as has my coursework for the most part. What degree plan is appropriate for you would depend on the school, because some materials departments are more "traditional" than others (i.e., more centered on physics and less overlap with chemistry and biology).

I think BME or MSE would be good choices. BME would almost certainly be a better route to pursue nanomedicine, but molecular nanotechnology (as I'm familiar with it) is accessible from either major. Chem E would also be a good choice, but from what I understand the classes are oriented more towards process design rather than the structure of materials and their design on an atomic/molecular level.
Thank you very much for this reply. I am very interested in molecular nanotechnology, so it's very good to see that it's accessible from both majors. I'll just wait and see what the engineering programs at wherever I'm going offers.

FAQ: Nanotech: physics and materials science or bioengineering?

1. What is nanotechnology?

Nanotechnology is the study and manipulation of matter on an extremely small scale, typically at the nanometer level, which is one billionth of a meter. It involves the creation and use of materials, devices, and systems with unique properties and functions that are only achievable at the nanoscale.

2. How does nanotechnology work?

Nanotechnology involves manipulating and controlling matter at the atomic and molecular level. This is done through techniques such as bottom-up assembly, where small components are built up to create a larger structure, and top-down fabrication, where larger structures are broken down into smaller components.

3. What are the potential applications of nanotechnology?

Nanotechnology has a wide range of potential applications in various fields such as electronics, medicine, energy, and materials science. It could be used to create more efficient and powerful electronic devices, develop new drug delivery systems, and create stronger and lighter materials.

4. What are the potential risks of nanotechnology?

While nanotechnology has many potential benefits, there are also concerns about its potential risks. These include possible environmental impacts, health and safety risks for workers handling nanomaterials, and ethical concerns regarding the use of nanotechnology in human enhancement.

5. How is nanotechnology being regulated?

Nanotechnology is currently being regulated by various government agencies, such as the Environmental Protection Agency and the Food and Drug Administration, in the United States. These agencies have specific guidelines and regulations for the use and disposal of nanomaterials. There are also ongoing discussions and efforts to develop international regulations for nanotechnology.