Natural convection and fins heat transfer problem

In summary, the problem involves calculating the temperature of the substrate surface that holds four rectangular fins on a 40x40x6 mm aluminum heat sink. The fins are 30 mm long, 4 mm thick, and 40 mm wide, and the system generates 3 W with a room temperature of 20 c. The kinematic viscosity of air is 1.5x10^-5 m2/s, specific heat of the gas is 1005j/kgk, thermal conductivity of air is .026w/mk, and for the aluminum, k=160w/mk. The solution requires using the "infinite fin" law and standard conduction laws to calculate the heat transfer from the fins to the air
ChE

Homework Statement

4 rectangular long fins are assembled on a 40x40x6 mm aluminum heat sink with the fins being 30 mm long, t=4 mm in thickness and 40 mm wide. The system generates 3 W and the room temp is maintained at 20 c. What is the temperature of the substrate surface that holds the fins, assuming the system is at steady state? The kinematic viscosity of air v=1.5x10^-5 m2/s, specific heat of the gas Cp=1005j/kgk, thermal conductivity of air k=.026w/mk. For the aluminum, k=160w/mk.

hint: you will need to solve this through iterations. Assume a starting temp of substrate surface at 100c.

Homework Equations

This is part of the problem, I'm not sure which equations I need.

The Attempt at a Solution

At first i thought i could approach this using Θ/Θb which equals (t-tinfinity)/(tbase-tinifinty) with tinfinity being the room temp and setting it equal to e^(-nx) where n=sqrt(2h/kt) and using this with q=haΔT but with x=0 to get surface temp, this simplfies to 1, which does not help. Next i tried using a u=1/h with q=uaΔT but i have no second equation to itterate against. I/m also not sure whether to use a qgeneration here because the heat is going through an aluminum block, but in this case I have no temperature for either side of the block and therefore nowhere to start, or if because this is at steady state I can assume q=3W.

I'm not asking anyone to go through and give me the exact number, just enough help to determine equations needed and point me in the right direction.
Thanks a lot for your help.

Attachments

• CCF07202014_00000.jpg
    CCF07202014_00000.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 571
Physics news on Phys.org
The solution will be a combination of the heat transfer by the fins and the heat transfer through the alu. heatsink block.

For the fins you can use the "infinite fin" law that you already stated: Θ/Θb = e^-nx
With this you can define the heat transfer from the fins to the air, which is equal to the heat transfer from the block to the fins at the fin base (x=0).

Now you have to calculate the heat transfer through the block using the standard conduction laws.
Assuming there is no temperature gradient in x,y direction only in z (towards the fins) you can state that Q_fins = Q_conduction = -kA dT/dz at z=6 mm.

I hope this helps you to set up your model.

Related to Natural convection and fins heat transfer problem

1. What is natural convection?

Natural convection is the process of heat transfer that occurs due to the movement of fluids caused by temperature differences. In this case, the fluid in question is air, and the movement is caused by the difference in temperature between the object and its surroundings.

2. How does natural convection impact heat transfer in fins?

Natural convection plays a significant role in heat transfer in fins. As the air surrounding the fins is heated, it becomes less dense and rises, carrying away heat from the fins. This, in turn, creates a lower pressure area near the fins, causing cooler air to be drawn in to replace it, thus continuing the cycle of heat transfer.

3. What factors influence natural convection heat transfer in fins?

Some key factors that influence natural convection heat transfer in fins include the surface area and geometry of the fins, the temperature difference between the fins and the surrounding air, and the properties of the fluid (such as viscosity and density).

4. What is the purpose of using fins in heat transfer problems?

The purpose of using fins in heat transfer problems is to increase the surface area available for heat transfer. Fins are designed to have a large surface area compared to their volume, which allows for more efficient heat transfer between the object and the surrounding air.

5. How can the effectiveness of fins in heat transfer be improved?

The effectiveness of fins in heat transfer can be improved by increasing their surface area or by improving the heat transfer coefficient between the fins and the surrounding air. This can be achieved through various design modifications, such as increasing the number of fins or using materials with better thermal conductivity.