Natural frequency of 3 coulomb force bound particles in EF

In summary, the conversation was about using Matlab to model a system of three identical particles in an external field. The goal was to find the spectra of the lowest energy states using the gradient descent method and to determine the natural frequency and vectors for the system. The equations involved were the potential due to the external field and the interactions between particles. The solution involved calculating the energy of the system as a function of the positions of the particles and finding eigenvectors and eigenvalues in a 6-dimensional phase space. The next step was to create a visual representation of the different mode eigenvectors.
Franky4

Homework Statement

I was given a task to model (using Matlab) 3 identical particles in external field and find spectra of lowest system energy states using gradient descend method for each particle in the system.
I did a run of 500 random generated coordinates and found this distribution.
energy.jpg
LE_4.5529.jpg
(blue dots are final coordinates, red are initial)
Now I need to find natural frequency and vectors for the lowest energy state system of 4.5299 units in this case. Also find eigen vectors for different nodes.

Homework Equations

Potential due to external field: U(x,y) = x^3 + x^4 - 0.1*x + y^6 - x*y;
Potential due to interactions between particles: U(r1, r2) = a/(abs(r1 - r2)); a is a constant.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found plenty of information for systems with masses, springs and stiffness coefficients, but nothing for this and I am not sure which way to proceed. Should I be trying to think of this three particle bound system as three masses (charges in this case) connected with different springs (coulomb force) for which stiffness k should be calculated from the force by the gradient of external field and repulsion force between particles or am I overthinking this.

First time posting, not sure between introductory and advanced homework sections

Physics news on Phys.org
Franky4 said:
First time posting, not sure between introductory and advanced homework sections
Advanced is fine.

You can calculate the energy of the system (relative to the ground state) as function of the positions of the objects relative to the ground state (assuming small deviations). That gives a 6-dimensional phase space where you can find eigenvectors and eigenvalues corresponding to different oscillations.

Thanks. I had a talk with my teacher and told me to read up about Hessian matrix.

mfb said:
Advanced is fine.

You can calculate the energy of the system (relative to the ground state) as function of the positions of the objects relative to the ground state (assuming small deviations). That gives a 6-dimensional phase space where you can find eigenvectors and eigenvalues corresponding to different oscillations.

I calculated eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the Hessian matrix where F(x1,x2,x3,y1,y2,y3) { (xi, yi) being a pair of coordinates of the partcile} is a total potential energy of the system. I am asked to create a visual of different mode eigenvectors, but they are 6 dimensional, how am I to do this ?

You can draw them as displacement directions for the three particles - three arrows for each mode.

Related to Natural frequency of 3 coulomb force bound particles in EF

1. What is the definition of natural frequency?

Natural frequency refers to the characteristic frequency at which an object or system vibrates or oscillates without any external force or disturbance. It is determined by the physical properties of the object or system.

2. How is the natural frequency of 3 coulomb force bound particles in EF calculated?

The natural frequency of 3 coulomb force bound particles in EF can be calculated by using the equation f = 1/2π √(k/m), where f is the natural frequency, k is the spring constant, and m is the mass of the particles.

3. What factors affect the natural frequency of 3 coulomb force bound particles in EF?

The natural frequency of 3 coulomb force bound particles in EF is affected by the strength of the coulomb force, the mass of the particles, and the stiffness of the electric field.

4. Can the natural frequency of 3 coulomb force bound particles in EF be changed?

Yes, the natural frequency of 3 coulomb force bound particles in EF can be changed by altering the physical properties of the particles, such as their mass or the strength of the electric field. It can also be changed by applying external forces to the system.

5. Why is the natural frequency of 3 coulomb force bound particles in EF important?

The natural frequency of 3 coulomb force bound particles in EF is important because it determines the behavior and stability of the system. Understanding the natural frequency can help in designing and predicting the performance of systems that involve these particles, such as in materials science and engineering applications.

Back