Natural Frequency of Elastic Pipe with Different Pressures

In summary, the discussion revolves around the relationship between water pressure and natural frequency in a flexible silicone tube filled with water. By increasing the water pressure, the tube becomes more rigid and its natural frequency increases. This is due to the change in its elastic modulus or bending stiffness. The effect of changes in these properties on the natural frequencies is the main focus of the conversation.
Nefertiti
Hi,

I have a 3mm diameter flexible silicone tube with wall diameter of 0.5mm. If this tube is filled with water at different pressures, how does the internal pressure present itself during modal testing (either shaker or impact testing). The tube lies on rigid table so it is completely supported from one side. I'm especially interested if there is relationship with natural frequency and the internal pressure.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Think it through . What physical properties of the tube and water combination determine what the natural frequencies are going to be ?

How does changing the water pressure change these properties ? What is the effect of any changes of properties on the natural frequencies ?

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks Nidum. Correct if I’m wrong but essentially the water pressure makes the tube more rigid, i.e. change its elastic modulus (bending stiffness). This should affect the natural frequency so that increased pressure leads to increase in natural frequency.

Related to Natural Frequency of Elastic Pipe with Different Pressures

1. What is the natural frequency of an elastic pipe?

The natural frequency of an elastic pipe refers to the frequency at which the pipe will naturally vibrate when subjected to a disturbance. This frequency is determined by the material and dimensions of the pipe.

2. How does the natural frequency of an elastic pipe change with different pressures?

The natural frequency of an elastic pipe is directly affected by the pressure inside the pipe. As the pressure increases, the natural frequency also increases, and vice versa. This is because the pressure affects the stiffness and elasticity of the pipe.

3. What factors affect the natural frequency of an elastic pipe?

The natural frequency of an elastic pipe is influenced by several factors, including the material and dimensions of the pipe, the pressure inside the pipe, and the boundary conditions at each end of the pipe (e.g. fixed or free).

4. How is the natural frequency of an elastic pipe calculated?

The natural frequency of an elastic pipe can be calculated using the formula f = (1/2π)√(E/Iρ), where f is the natural frequency, E is the elastic modulus of the pipe material, I is the moment of inertia of the pipe, and ρ is the density of the pipe material.

5. Why is it important to understand the natural frequency of an elastic pipe?

Understanding the natural frequency of an elastic pipe is important for several reasons. It can help determine the stability and safety of the pipe under different pressures, as well as identify potential resonance issues that could lead to failure. It can also aid in the design and optimization of the pipe for specific applications.