Natural Gas cost by winter to triple?

• News
  • Thread starter rewebster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas Natural
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential increase in the price of natural gas, with predictions ranging from doubling to tripling by the upcoming winter. This could result in significantly higher gas bills, potentially reaching $1,000 for a single month. Some individuals are considering alternative energy solutions, such as burning tires or using wood to heat their homes. Others mention the impact of speculation and the Enron loophole on natural gas prices. The conversation also touches on the relationship between natural gas and oil production, as well as the potential effects on other products such as petroleum jelly.
rewebster
"Today in talking to the gas company - I was told they are thinking the price of Natural Gas may reach $3.00 a therm by this winter.

The current price is $1.45 a therm, on my last bill it was $1.24. Remember a winter ago people where upset at $1.10 a therm.

That means bills that may be typically $200.00 to $300,00 in January may approach a $1,000 for one month of gas use. "

http://evanstonnow.com/government/junad-rizki/blog-entry/2008/07/02/natural-gas-cost-by-winter-to-triple-3-00-per-therm-and

my, my----

Physics news on Phys.org
Does that mean alternative energies research would receive more funding and focus?
So, a innovative solution to our all energy problems is near?

Just burn tires rew. Recycling is good, right? :rolleyes:

I had heard anything about natural gas for this coming winter---probably due to gasoline, oil, housing mortgage problems, Iraq, etc.-----I just got my natural gas bill, and went--"WTF?!"---for a summer month, it's about double what it was about two years ago,-and then started thinking about the upcoming winter.

(yep---saving all the tires, plastic bottles, and junk mail for the grill in the living room this winter--just to the left of the TV)

I'm glad we heat with wood. I paid $800 for 5 cords (more than enough for the winter). A co-worker of my wife just paid over $700 to get her heating oil tank topped off and is looking at maybe $3000-4000 to heat her place this winter. Some people have switched over to wood pellet stoves. Stupid move, because once people get locked into these stoves, the price of the pellets will track the price of gas and oil. If the economy collapses, this county is full of rednecks with chain saws that will gladly deliver firewood cheap for cash.

"this county is full of rednecks "

I think they spilled over to my neck of the woods too

Since natural gas is not a product of oil, I find it very unlikely that natural gas prices will double this year. Propane(which is derived from oil), on the other hand, has been skyrocketing.

russ_watters said:
Since natural gas is not a product of oil, I find it very unlikely that natural gas prices will double this year. Propane(which is derived from oil), on the other hand, has been skyrocketing.

betcha a nickel that it goes up by at least 25 or 30%

I thought natural gas came out of oil wells? But it doesn't have to be refined the way crude does.

Also, with the new more difficult measures to remove and refine deeper gulf oil and shale oil, will it effect natural gas any?

Alos, how is the production of petroleum jelley going to be affected?

its all 'energy' and energy stocks, natural gas included---except for grape

As for the price of natural gas; anything that can be affected by speculation is probably going to be affected by speculation.

Natural gas is a commodity included in the Enron loophole.

rewebster said:
betcha a nickel that it goes up by at least 25 or 30%
No bet - I think 25% is a realistic possibility.

Last edited:

Related to Natural Gas cost by winter to triple?

1. What is causing the increase in natural gas cost by winter?

The increase in natural gas cost during winter can be attributed to a combination of factors, including high demand for heating during colder months, limited supply due to production and transportation challenges, and market speculation.

2. How much is the expected increase in natural gas cost?

The exact amount of increase in natural gas cost during winter can vary depending on various factors such as location, weather conditions, and market trends. However, it is estimated that the cost could potentially triple compared to other seasons.

3. Will the increase in natural gas cost affect my energy bill?

Yes, the increase in natural gas cost will most likely affect your energy bill, especially if you use natural gas as your primary source of heating. It is important to monitor your energy usage and consider energy-efficient alternatives to reduce the impact on your bill.

4. Can anything be done to mitigate the impact of the increase in natural gas cost?

As a consumer, there are a few ways you can mitigate the impact of the increase in natural gas cost. You can take steps to conserve energy, such as sealing air leaks and adjusting your thermostat, and consider alternative energy sources for heating your home.

5. Is the increase in natural gas cost a long-term trend?

The increase in natural gas cost during winter is a cyclical trend that has been observed for many years. However, it is difficult to predict the long-term trend as it is influenced by various factors such as changes in supply and demand, weather patterns, and economic conditions.