Natural Oscillation Frequencies

In summary, the use of lighter materials in building construction has raised the natural oscillation frequencies of buildings, resulting in fewer problems with resonance caused by external sources such as passing trucks, airplanes, and wind. This can be likened to a simple spring with an attached mass, where the resonance frequency increases when the mass is made lighter.
Charles Stark

Homework Statement

Over the years, buildings have been able to be built out of lighter and lighter materials. how has this affected the natural oscillation frequencies of buildings and the problems of resonance due to passing trucks, airplanes, or by wind and other natural sources of vibration?

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't think I fully understand the question. Upon reading I have found natural frequency equations and the concept of resonance as it applies to damping but I don't see how the mass of the materials effect these. My initial thought was that the natural frequencies were higher, making it less likely for passing frequencies to get close to the natural frequencies.

Physics news on Phys.org
Take a simple spring with an attached mass. How does the resonance frequency change if you make the mass lighter?
Buildings are a bit like very complex structures made out of springs and masses.
Charles Stark said:
making it less likely for passing frequencies to get close to the natural frequencies.
Why less?

Related to Natural Oscillation Frequencies

1. What are natural oscillation frequencies?

Natural oscillation frequencies refer to the inherent frequencies at which a system vibrates or oscillates without any external force or disturbance.

2. How are natural oscillation frequencies determined?

Natural oscillation frequencies are determined by the physical properties of the system, such as mass, stiffness, and damping, and are calculated using mathematical equations.

3. What are some examples of natural oscillation frequencies?

Some examples of natural oscillation frequencies include a pendulum swinging back and forth, a guitar string vibrating, and a tuning fork producing a sound.

4. Why are natural oscillation frequencies important?

Natural oscillation frequencies are important because they help us understand the behavior of various systems and can be utilized in various applications, such as in musical instruments, bridges, and earthquake-resistant buildings.

5. How can natural oscillation frequencies be affected?

Natural oscillation frequencies can be affected by changes in the physical properties of a system, such as mass or stiffness, or by external forces or disturbances, such as wind or earthquakes.