Nature & speed of electricity

In summary: Both can be measured as speed (in different units though). In summary, electric current can be considered both a microscopic and macroscopic quantity, depending on the perspective. The speed of electricity can also be seen as both the drift velocity of electrons and the speed of light.
A AM ARYA
1.Is electric current a microscopic or macroscopic quantity?I think it is macroscopic as we can feel it,but when I asked my friend he said it is microscopic as it deals with electrons.I'm a bit confused...
2.What is the speed of electricity?Is it equal to the drift velocity of electrons or the speed of light?
Please clarify my doubts...

Engineering news on Phys.org
A AM ARYA said:
1.Is electric current a microscopic or macroscopic quantity?I think it is macroscopic as we can feel it,but when I asked my friend he said it is microscopic as it deals with electrons.I'm a bit confused...
2.What is the speed of electricity?Is it equal to the drift velocity of electrons or the speed of light?
Please clarify my doubts...

1) I have no idea what you are asking about here.

2) if I create an electrical disturbance at one end of a long wire (think of power lines crossing continents), the disturbance travels down the wire at 0.5 to 0.8 light speed, but the electrons drift hardly any distance.

Likes A AM ARYA
1) It depends on if your an electrical engineer or a quantum physicist. EEs treat electricity in macroscopic terms like voltage and current and don't worry about individual electrons or whatever (most of us anyway). Quantum physicists treat electrons and photons as individuals.

2) Both. Electrons move slowly. Photons move quickly. Both are electric have electrical qualities.

Likes A AM ARYA

Related to Nature & speed of electricity

1. What is electricity?

Electricity is the flow of electrons through a conductive material. It is a form of energy that powers many devices and is essential for our daily lives.

2. How does electricity travel?

Electricity travels through conductive materials such as metals. Electrons move from atom to atom, creating a flow of electrical current. The speed at which electricity travels depends on the type of material and its resistance.

3. What is the speed of electricity?

The speed of electricity can vary depending on the type of material it is traveling through. In most conductors, such as copper wires, electricity travels at around 60% the speed of light, or approximately 186,000 miles per second.

4. Can electricity travel through vacuum?

Yes, electricity can travel through a vacuum, although not as easily as through a conductor. This phenomenon is known as electric discharge and is commonly observed in lightning strikes and fluorescent light bulbs.

5. How does the speed of electricity affect electronic devices?

The speed of electricity can affect how quickly electronic devices operate. For example, a faster flow of electricity can result in quicker response times for computers and other devices. However, if the electricity is too fast, it can cause damage to the components of the device. Therefore, it is important to regulate the speed of electricity in electronic devices.