Navigating War: Do We Have Too Comfortable a Middle Ground?

• News
  • Thread starter Pattonias
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ground
In summary: War should be a state in which the nation is placed so that we can be most effective and most rapidly successful should it be decided that war is the only solution.
Pattonias
It is well that war is so terrible -- lest we should grow too fond of it. -Robert E. Lee

Has war gotten too easy for the nation?

We can maintain two wars at a time without any really serious impact on the average American.
We are in a time and age when the US (and other world powers) maintains a large enough volunteer army that we can declare and maintain a war without the average non-soldier or non-military family really feeling the impact of a prolonged war at home. Have we found a comfortable middle ground where we can maintain a bloody war without it getting bad enough that we dedicate the force necessary to bring clear success and end the war quickly?

Should changes be made to make war more “terrible” so we can endeavor to avoid it more fervently, or fight it more violently to end it faster?

What are your thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
we're not so much fighting wars as police actions, anyway. there is no government to accede to us, only what amounts to a bunch of organized crime that must be suppressed in order for business to proceed unhindered.

Pattonias said:
Has war gotten too easy for the nation?

We can maintain two wars at a time without any really serious impact on the average American.
We are in a time and age when the US (and other world powers) maintains a large enough volunteer army that we can declare and maintain a war without the average non-soldier or non-military family really feeling the impact of a prolonged war at home. Have we found a comfortable middle ground where we can maintain a bloody war without it getting bad enough that we dedicate the force necessary to bring clear success and end the war quickly?

Should changes be made to make war more “terrible” so we can endeavor to avoid it more fervently, or fight it more violently to end it faster?

What are your thoughts?

Along the lines of what Proton is saying. The war we are in is not a traditional all out war. No bombing campaigns, no air to air combat, no artillery to speak of, no heavy armor engagements. If we were at war with an actual world power, we'd be feeling it.

I guess the difference here is the strength of the two parties fighting. Why do we tone down our capabilities to fight a weaker force on their terms? What made unrestricted warfare more acceptable in WW2 than it is now?
Why do we try to describe what we fight today as a war?

(I understand the ethical implications, but I'm talking this out for the sake of argument.)

Proton Soup said:
we're not so much fighting wars as police actions, anyway. there is no government to accede to us, only what amounts to a bunch of organized crime that must be suppressed in order for business to proceed unhindered.

988278~Team-America-World-Police-Posters.jpg

Proton Soup said:
only what amounts to a bunch of organized crime that must be suppressed in order for business to proceed unhindered.

What would your way of life be like if "business" was permitted to be hindered at the will of outside forces?

Pattonias said:
What would your way of life be like if "business" was permitted to be hindered at the will of outside forces?

like living in Mexico or Afghanistan, i suspect. how do they stand it?

Consider the flip-side: we have become so war averse that a few hundred military war deaths a year is considered a tragicly high price and even accidental civilian deaths are treated as criminal.

russ_watters said:
Consider the flip-side: we have become so war averse that a few hundred military war deaths a year is considered a tragicly high price and even accidental civilian deaths are treated as criminal.

Because clearly, war is something we should condone and endorse!

I think the disconnect happens in between the soldiers on the front and the people in the rear.

To the soldier on the front this is a real war where real lives are being lost.

To the people in the rear this is a nation building attempt in which armed soldiers are fighting an unseen enemy and hurting a poor and often defenceless population.

They don't feel the impact of a loss of life for the populations where we are fighting or the stress and pain an American or allied soldier is placed under in the fight.

Should war be a state in which the nation is placed so that we can be most effective and most rapidly successful should it be decided that war is the only solution.
A draft to increase the ranks of the army. A purposeful defence budget increase that makes the US fighting force as effective as it can be.

Obviously this would rule out your in-between and gray areas, but perhaps this would show that new definitions need to be created when it is decided that we are going to fight, and at the same time try and maintain our current standard of living and reduce the impact on the national economy at the same time.

No more beating around the bush, just declare to the world that we are going to change the government of another nation and not hide it under the guise of a war against a particular group in the country and a way of thinking that is poorly defined at best.
(Again there are a lot of problems with a statement like this, but is shows an extreme solution to what I think is a problem today. If not an extreme stance, then what?)

We already changed the governments of Afghanistan and Iraq. Now we're trying to make sure they don't change, which is not at all the same as for example the action in WWII.

I don't know if you noticed, but the process of kicking out the old governments was ridiculously fast and easy

I guess what I meant by changing the government would be creating a stable new government.

There wouldn't be much point in the whole process if you simply let a new government with the same philosophy as the old come up after you left wouldn't you agree?

TubbaBlubba said:

Were you unable to comprehend what Russ wrote?

Cyrus said:
Were you unable to comprehend what Russ wrote?

The intention of it could go either way.

TubbaBlubba said:
The intention of it could go either way.
I think russ usually advocates for the hawks rather than the doves.

TubbaBlubba said:
I disagree - why do you think we should condone and endorse war?

Pattonias said:
To the soldier on the front this is a real war where real lives are being lost.
Agreed.
To the people in the rear this is a nation building attempt in which armed soldiers are fighting an unseen enemy and hurting a poor and often defenceless population.
That's not a real accurate characterization (even if it is accurate about what the perception is), but in any case, what does that have to do with war being "too easy"?
They don't feel the impact of a loss of life for the populations where we are fighting or the stress and pain an American or allied soldier is placed under in the fight.
How is that different from other wars? Is it just because the death toll is lower? Why is that bad?
Should war be a state in which the nation is placed so that we can be most effective and most rapidly successful should it be decided that war is the only solution.
Echoing Office_Shredder, the two wars were basically that.
A draft to increase the ranks of the army. A purposeful defence budget increase that makes the US fighting force as effective as it can be.
A draft isn't necessary or desirable. Making war painful just for the sake of making it painful makes nice slogans/poetry, but it isn't really logical.
Obviously this would rule out your in-between and gray areas, but perhaps this would show that new definitions need to be created when it is decided that we are going to fight, and at the same time try and maintain our current standard of living and reduce the impact on the national economy at the same time.
If we're artificially making war more painful than it needs to be, then we aren't maintaining our current standards of living and reducing the economic impact.
No more beating around the bush, just declare to the world that we are going to change the government of another nation and not hide it under the guise of a war against a particular group in the country and a way of thinking that is poorly defined at best.
There was nothing ill-defined about either war. What part of those wars don't you understand?

Pattonias said:
I guess what I meant by changing the government would be creating a stable new government.
That is the goal, yes.
There wouldn't be much point in the whole process if you simply let a new government with the same philosophy as the old come up after you left wouldn't you agree?
Agreed. And again, that's the goal. I'm really confused - you aren't saying anything here that contradicts the goals of the wars, but somehow you seem to think you are...could you explain how you see these wars being different instead of just saying how you think they should be?

russ_watters said:
I disagree - why do you think we should condone and endorse war?

I interpreted your message as seeing adversity to war as something negative, and as such responded in a sarcastic manner.

Russ, I will try and clarify what I mean.

I don't mean that the war is actually easy, I mean that our nation may not be put under that strain that a decision to pursue armed conflict should require. It seems frustrating to me that one of the reasons that we have trouble putting down the Taliban is that we don't have enough troops in the areas they are known to occupy to capture or kill them.

The political responce is to try and send just enough troops to meet whatever short-term goal is decided on. A surge to make a single publicized move into a presumed hiding area. If we as a nation decided that this war is something that we must win, why didn't we commit ourselves in a way that would overwhelm any resistance.

I'm not talking about whether or not the war is right. I'm talking about how our nation thinks a war should be fought. If we fight a less well equiped and less organized military, we should use our advatages to the fullest to overwhelm and seek out the Taliban wherever it is located. Using our current strategies to occupy certain areas attempt to pacify and then move out just doesn't cut it.

Shouldn't a war be a movement with the full force of the entire nation? Use all the tools we have available to win the war quickly?

FAQ: Navigating War: Do We Have Too Comfortable a Middle Ground?

1. What is the main argument of "Navigating War: Do We Have Too Comfortable a Middle Ground?"

The main argument of "Navigating War: Do We Have Too Comfortable a Middle Ground?" is that there is a dangerous level of complacency and acceptance surrounding the idea of war, and that this needs to be addressed in order to prevent further conflicts and casualties.

2. What evidence is presented to support this argument?

The author presents historical examples of wars that were initially seen as necessary or justified, but later were recognized as unnecessary or unjust. They also discuss the societal attitudes towards war and how they have evolved over time, highlighting the increasing acceptance and normalization of violence in certain cultures.

3. How does the author address counterarguments?

The author acknowledges that some may argue that war is necessary for self-defense or to protect national interests, but they argue that this mindset often leads to a "comfortable middle ground" where war is seen as a viable solution instead of a last resort. They also address the idea that war can lead to positive outcomes, such as liberation or democracy, and argue that the negative consequences often outweigh any potential benefits.

4. What is the proposed solution to the issue of complacency towards war?

The author suggests that a shift in societal attitudes and a reexamination of how we view war is necessary in order to prevent further conflicts. They also propose increased education and critical thinking surrounding the topic of war, as well as a greater emphasis on peaceful conflict resolution.

5. How does "Navigating War: Do We Have Too Comfortable a Middle Ground?" contribute to the broader discussion on war?

This book adds to the ongoing conversation about war by highlighting the danger of complacency and the need for critical examination of societal attitudes towards violence. It also challenges the notion that war is a necessary or inevitable part of human existence and offers potential solutions for shifting towards a more peaceful world.