Need a book to prepare for my Special Relativity class

In summary, the conversation was about finding book suggestions and online resources for a 200 level course on Special Relativity. The recommended books were Taylor & Wheeler's Spacetime Physics, Rindler's Relativity, and Moore's A Traveller's Guide to Spacetime. It was also suggested to look for lecture notes online before purchasing books. The red paperback edition of Spacetime Physics was also recommended for practice problems.
evacek3
Hello,
Next semester I will be taking a class in Special Relativity through UIUC. Its only a 200 level course titled Relativity and math applications but I would really like to go in with a base. If anyone could give me some book suggestions which would contain practice problems and the like but not be too techinical (like a "...for dummies" book) that would be great. Or a website along the lines of Paul's Online Notes but for relativity would be great too.

NOTE: I am not looking for a book which covers Special Relativity on a conceptual level. I need one that is quantitative.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Check Rindler's Relativity. It's pretty good.

Moore's A Traveller's Guide to Spacetime is excellent.

Taylor and Wheeler is popular. I like to look for lecture notes to get a feel for something new before I start buying books. There are thousands of professors who post their notes, some are good, some are awful. Google "SR lecture notes" or something similar and you will find a lot of notes at a variety of levels.

FAQ: Need a book to prepare for my Special Relativity class

1. What is Special Relativity?

Special Relativity is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that explains the relationship between space and time for objects moving at a constant speed in a straight line. It also includes the famous equation E=mc^2, which describes the relationship between energy, mass, and the speed of light.

2. What topics should I expect to learn in a Special Relativity class?

In a Special Relativity class, you can expect to learn about concepts such as time dilation, length contraction, the relativity of simultaneity, and the Lorentz transformation. You will also learn about the implications of Special Relativity on various physical phenomena, such as the Twin Paradox and the speed of light being a universal constant.

3. What is the best book to prepare for a Special Relativity class?

One highly recommended book for preparing for a Special Relativity class is "Introduction to Special Relativity" by David J. Griffiths. Other great resources include "Spacetime Physics" by Edwin F. Taylor and John Archibald Wheeler, and "Special Relativity: A First Encounter" by Domenico Giulini.

4. How can I understand the complex concepts of Special Relativity?

Special Relativity can be a challenging topic to grasp, but there are several ways to improve your understanding. One approach is to use visual aids, such as diagrams and animations, to help visualize the concepts. Another way is to work through practice problems and examples to solidify your understanding.

5. Are there any online resources I can use to supplement my learning for a Special Relativity class?

Yes, there are many online resources available to supplement your learning for a Special Relativity class. Some helpful websites include Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, and HyperPhysics. You can also find lecture notes and video lectures on Special Relativity from universities such as MIT, Stanford, and Yale.