Need a Classical Mechanics book that covers these topics

In summary, a freshman in Computer Engineering at a university is taking a Classical Mechanics course. He has little experience with physics, and is considering a book for this class. Savov is a good book, but Goldstein is also a good book.
Fifty5
I'm a freshman in Computer Engineering at a university. I have a Classical Mechanics course that will cover these topics:

Newton's law of motion
Vector Algebra
Equilibrium of bodies
Plane Trusses
First moment of area, centroid, etc.
Calculation of virtual displacement and virtual work
Work-energy theorem, principle of conservation of energy, principles of momentum, etc.
Dynamics of rigid bodies

My only other experience with physics is my honors physics class in high school around 3 years ago. Should I just be looking for a general college physics textbook or do I need something more specific? As far as math skills, I'm currently taking a Calculus 1 course.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ohanian's "Physics for Scientists and engineers" 3rd edition covers it.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Fifty5 said:
I'm a freshman in Computer Engineering at a university. I have a Classical Mechanics course that will cover these topics:

Newton's law of motion
Vector Algebra
Equilibrium of bodies
Plane Trusses
First moment of area, centroid, etc.
Calculation of virtual displacement and virtual work
Work-energy theorem, principle of conservation of energy, principles of momentum, etc.
Dynamics of rigid bodies

My only other experience with physics is my honors physics class in high school around 3 years ago. Should I just be looking for a general college physics textbook or do I need something more specific? As far as math skills, I'm currently taking a Calculus 1 course.

I highly recommend Savov for your purpose
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0992001005/?tag=pfamazon01-20

There is a good preview available here - I think you will like it. It is a great book.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can check Goldstein's "Classical Mechanics " its one of the best we got in classical mechanics!

Prasun-rick said:
You can check Goldstein's "Classical Mechanics " its one of the best we got in classical mechanics!
I doubt that Goldstein is the right book, given the list of topics and the OP's background.

Likes micromass and Prasun-rick
Krylov said:
I doubt that Goldstein is the right book, given the list of topics and the OP's background.
Well for some topics you are right it isn't!

Goldstein is a grad level text - one that is not very fun to read. For someone with just high school math, a bit of calculus, and very little exposure to mechanics, it would be virtually impossible to follow and benefit from Goldstein. I think Savov will be perfect for OP. For a second book, I would pick up the first volume of https://www.amazon.com/dp/0300192207/?tag=pfamazon01-20.

I don't think "Plane trusses" is covered by Ohanian, Savov, or Goldstein.
I don't think "virtual displacement and virtual work" is covered by Ohanian or Savov.
These two topics, plus the rest of the listed topics, are treated in an "Engineering Mechanics"-type textbook.
If you are looking for a text that treats the other topics listed, then you could consider what has been suggested... although I agree with the other recent posts that Goldstein is probably not appropriate.

Related to Need a Classical Mechanics book that covers these topics

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion and behavior of macroscopic objects, such as particles and larger systems, under the influence of forces.

2. What are the main topics covered in a classical mechanics book?

A classical mechanics book typically covers topics such as kinematics, dynamics, energy, momentum, rotational motion, and oscillations.

3. How does classical mechanics differ from quantum mechanics?

Classical mechanics is based on Newton's laws of motion and is applicable to macroscopic objects, while quantum mechanics deals with the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

4. What are some recommended classical mechanics books for beginners?

Some popular classical mechanics books for beginners include "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor, "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" by David Morin, and "Classical Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and George Hrabovsky.

5. Can classical mechanics be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, classical mechanics plays a crucial role in understanding and predicting the behavior of objects in our everyday lives, such as the motion of vehicles, machines, and celestial bodies.