Need a little bit of help on trains and buses

• Thread starter heartless
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bit Trains
In summary, understanding how to navigate trains and buses can be overwhelming, but with a few key tips and tricks it can become much easier. It's important to familiarize yourself with the different types of tickets and passes, as well as the schedules and routes available. Utilizing online resources and asking for assistance from staff can also make the process smoother. Remember to plan ahead and be aware of any potential delays or changes. With some preparation and patience, traveling by train or bus can be an efficient and cost-effective option.
heartless
It may be that I'll leave New York alone and travel far far to other states. However I've never done such a thing. I mean, I always travel with my parents, and never by train or bus (except within NYC). So, do you know any websites out there, that let me play a tiny bit, and find the cheapest way to California f.ex? I'm more interested in something New Yorkish. And, have you ever been traveling or going to other states through buses and trains? How did you like it, and how did you find out the prices and all the stuff?
:-p

Physics news on Phys.org
The national passenger rail system in the US is Amtrak - www.amtrak.com

Otherwise, for airlines, one has to go to an airline website.

Southwest Airlines has fairly inexpensive fairs.

For Buses, try Trailways - http://www.trailways.com/

and Greyhound - http://www.greyhound.com/home.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're doing train, I highly recommend Amtrak. I've taken thirteen-sixteen hour train rides with them, and overall, they're wonderful. But if you're going for speed, I'd agree with Astronuc, I've been told that Southwest has decently cheap (I love it, decently cheap) prices.

:) Good luck.

Man, I took the Acela to NY, that stupid train cost me MORE money than an airplane ticket, took LONGER than a short hop in a dash-8, had 0 hot stewardess', and did'nt even go fast because Amtrak, in their infinite wisdom, bought a set of Acela trains and had two choices. (1) relay the track so they could run the Acela fast like its supposed to, or (2) put new trucks on the train and use the already existing track, but restricting overall performance. Guess which way they went...nice way to buy new high speed trains that won't work on your track...boneheads.

In short, it's no wonder Amtraks aways broke. :rolleyes:

Take an airplane.

Last edited:
If you have the luxury of time, traveling by train is pretty neat, because you really get to see all the scenery as you pass it. I'd recommend trains over buses...with a train, at least you can get up and walk around a bit more than on a bus. Though, I haven't been on a train for a long trip in the US since I was a kid.

:smile:

You can see all the slums of NJ along the way to NY from DC moonbear.

Garden State, hahahha YEaAAAHH, right.

It was like a long train ride through Baltimore that never ends. <shudder>

cyrusabdollahi said:
:smile:

You can see all the slums of NJ along the way to NY from DC moonbear.

Garden State, hahahha YEaAAAHH, right.

It was like a long train ride through Baltimore that never ends. <shudder>
I wasn't replying to you. :-p I was talking about the OP's idea of traveling from NY to CA.

Though, one of my friends takes the Acela from NYC to DC a few times a year, and doesn't have such complaints. Given the time it takes to get through airport security, it's faster to take a train than fly, and he can get work done while traveling and arrive much more rested than if he drove. Though, I think they had to slow it down since first starting that route due to problems with derailments. (I could be wrong on that...I just seem to recall someone saying something about it before.)

My friend Peter, wrote a book on DC transit (trolley's to be exact). He's the one who told me about the issue with the Acela. He knows much about trains. :approve:

http://www.dctrolley.org/kbook.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The acela goes right by my town. It doesn't stop there, but it does make the most horiffic noise as it approaches the many crossings. They deliberately made the horn extra loud and obnoxious (in their continuing wisdom). I suppose it was intended to make us all think that Amtrak is not an unfriendly business? :ironic smiley:

And yes, the train cuts off access to the best portions of the Connecticut coast, it's bridges choke the wetlands, and no matter where you want to take the train (even if it goes where you want to go, which is rare) it's faster to drive, and cheaper to fly.

Buy a 1993 Toyota and drive instead. You must experience driving across the country.

I'd have to agree with Cyrus. Amtrak has and is having problems. Acela was very problematic. The right of way was not designed for them and the manufacturer of Acela had some design/manufacturing problems, one of which resulted in cracked components in the brakes (2005) and shock absorber (suspension) systems (2002). :rolleyes: As an engineer, I find this situation wholly inexcusable!

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2005-04-17-acela-trains_x.htm

I periodically go to Washington DC, and I don't take the Acela, but rather one of the regular trains, which takes only about an hour longer and costs about half as much. Taking a plane would take as much time and cost way more. In Washington, I use the Metro. In fact, I'll be in DC next month for a few days.

Astronuc said:
I'd have to agree with Cyrus. Amtrak has and is having problems. Acela was very problematic. The right of way was not designed for them and the manufacturer of Acela had some design/manufacturing problems, one of which resulted in cracked components in the brakes (2005) and shock absorber (suspension) systems (2002). :rolleyes: As an engineer, I find this situation wholly inexcusable!

I periodically go to Washington DC, and I don't take the Acela, but rather one of the regular trains, which takes only about an hour longer and costs about half as much. Taking a plane would take as much time and cost way more. In Washington, I use the Metro. In fact, I'll be in DC next month for a few days.

Hey, you should stop buy and we can go have a beer :biggrin: Evo was too busy with her boyfrienddd when she came by, ooouuu-la-la :smile:

Last edited:
cyrusabdollahi said:
Hey, you should stop buy and we can go have a beer :biggrin:
Definitely, I'll let you know!

Astronuc said:

Oh, that's what was in the back of my mind trying to get out when I was thinking about problems with derailments. Thanks for refreshing my memory.

Ah, that's probably why my friend takes the Acela. He's one of those fancy schmancy, high-priced lawyers, so an hour of his time is probably worth more than the difference in ticket price. :rolleyes:

For short distance trips, like from DC to NYC, flying just isn't worth it at all. I could drive faster...it's not just the flight time, but the time you have to get to the airport in advance to check-in and get through security (more time if you need to check luggage and wait for it too, but if it's a short trip, you don't need to do that). If you were just hopping between two small airports in the middle of nowhere, it wouldn't be so bad (but then it's exhorbitantly expensive), but from two major cities, airport security itself can add a 2 hour wait on each end of the trip. Anything that's less than a 6 hour drive, I drive rather than fly. When it gets closer to 8 hours driving, I factor in the price of tickets vs price of gas, whether I would need a rental car at my destination, and so on.

Related to Need a little bit of help on trains and buses

1. How do I plan my route using trains and buses?

To plan your route using trains and buses, you can use a transportation app or website such as Google Maps or Transit. These tools allow you to enter your starting point and destination and will provide you with the best route using trains and buses.

2. Can I use the same ticket for both trains and buses?

It depends on the transportation system you are using. In some cities, there is a single ticket or pass that can be used for both trains and buses. In others, you may need to purchase separate tickets for each mode of transportation. It is best to check with the specific transportation system or consult a transportation app or website for more information.

3. How can I find the train or bus schedule?

You can find the train and bus schedule by checking the transportation system's website or app. You can also find printed schedules at train and bus stations. It is important to note that schedules may change, so it is always best to double-check before your trip.

4. How much does it cost to ride a train or bus?

The cost of riding a train or bus varies depending on the transportation system, distance traveled, and type of ticket. You can usually find fare information on the transportation system's website or app. Some cities also offer discounted fares for students, seniors, or frequent riders.

5. Are trains or buses more environmentally friendly?

Both trains and buses are considered more environmentally friendly than cars because they can transport a larger number of people at once. However, trains are generally more energy-efficient than buses, as they run on electricity rather than diesel fuel. Additionally, some trains use renewable energy sources, making them even more environmentally friendly.