Need a pair of forumlas to help me build a lifting platform

In summary, to properly estimate the sturdiness of a platform for Olympic weightlifting, you need to consider the distance between the beams and the thickness of the board, taking into account the modulus of elasticity.
zyberwoof
I'm planning on building a platform for Olympic weightlifting. I'm trying to minimize the weight, so I'd like to be able to properly estimate the sturdiness.

The first one is for a piece of wood sitting on beams of some sort. I know that as the beams move father and farther apart, the board can support less and less weight inbetween the beams.

What is the formula for estimating the strength difference for the board for different spacings of the beams? I.e. If the board has a limit of 10 lbs with the beams x inches apart, what is the weight limit with the beams y inches apart?

The second question has to do with relating the strength to the thickness of a board. For a scenario like above, imagine that the distance of the beams are fixed, but the thickness of the board is not.

Ex: If a board 1/2" thick can support 10 lbs, how much weight can a board 3/4" thick support?

In case you can't tell, I'm hoping to have a board sitting on beams, and I'm trying to estimate how thick to make the board and how far apart to have the beams. The thinner/farther apart, the lighter it will be.

Physics news on Phys.org
The formula for estimating the strength difference in this case is related to the modulus of elasticity. The modulus of elasticity is a measure of how much a material will stretch or bend under a given load. The formula for calculating the strength difference between two different thicknesses of the same material is: Strength Difference = (Thickness1/Thickness2)^3 * Modulus of Elasticity For example, if the board is 1/2" thick and can support 10 lbs, and you want to know how much weight a 3/4" board can support, you would plug those numbers into the equation: Strength Difference = (0.5/0.75)^3 * Modulus of Elasticity This will give you an estimate of the amount of additional weight the thicker board can support.

FAQ: Need a pair of forumlas to help me build a lifting platform

1. How do I calculate the dimensions of the lifting platform?

To calculate the dimensions of a lifting platform, you will need to consider the weight of the objects that will be lifted, the type of lifting mechanism, and the desired safety factor. From there, you can use the formula for pressure (P = F/A) to determine the required surface area of the platform. You can also use the formula for work (W = Fd) to calculate the necessary height or depth of the platform.

2. What is the best material to use for a lifting platform?

The best material for a lifting platform will depend on the specific requirements and budget of the project. Generally, steel and aluminum are popular choices due to their strength, durability, and availability. However, if weight is a concern, lightweight materials like carbon fiber can also be used. It is important to carefully consider the weight capacity and load distribution when choosing a material for a lifting platform.

3. How do I determine the weight capacity of a lifting platform?

The weight capacity of a lifting platform can be calculated by multiplying the surface area of the platform by the weight of the objects that will be lifted and factoring in the safety factor. It is also important to consider the weight of the platform itself and any additional equipment or accessories that will be used in conjunction with the platform.

4. What safety precautions should I take when building a lifting platform?

When building a lifting platform, safety should be a top priority. It is important to carefully follow all safety guidelines and regulations, as well as ensuring that the platform is designed and constructed to withstand the intended weight capacity. Additionally, proper maintenance and regular inspections are crucial to ensure the safety and longevity of the lifting platform.

5. Are there any specific design considerations for a lifting platform?

Yes, there are several design considerations that should be taken into account when building a lifting platform. These include the weight capacity, load distribution, stability, and ease of use. It is also important to consider the location and environment where the lifting platform will be used, as well as any potential hazards or obstacles that may impact the design.