Need a small valve for gas injection? Any ideas?

In summary, the speaker is looking for a valve to control the flow of gas from a chemical reaction into their apparatus. They mention that normal fittings are too large for their needs and are looking for suggestions for a valve that can be opened and closed to admit a small amount of gas. Another person suggests using a neoprene tube pinch valve, and the speaker agrees to try it. They also mention the possibility of using a variation of the pinch valve with a stepper motor for more precise measurement.
eigenmax
Hello everyone,
For injecting gas into a little setup I've got, I have the following mechanism set out. The gas comes from a chemical reaction, goes through a copper capillary, then to a glass tube which was melted in the centre and pulled at both ends to create a thin passage. Then from that to another capillary into the apparatus. I need an idea for a valve. Normal fittings are far too large for the 1mm capillary, so, does anyone have any ideas for a valve that could be opened and closed? I only wish to admit the tiniest quantity of gas.
Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Neoprene tube pinch valve .

Likes eigenmax and Asymptotic
Nidum said:
Ok, I'll try that.
Thanks

eigenmax said:
ideas for a valve that could be opened and closed? I only wish to admit the tiniest quantity of gas.
Nidum said:
And if you want to be able to accurately meter the amount of gas that you allow to move along, you can use the variation of the pinch valve that is a peristaltic pump with a stepper motor to meter the amount of gas/fluid that you push through each time:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peristaltic_pump

http://blue-white.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/per_pumphead.jpg
per_pumphead.jpg

That's really interesting. Thanks for the help.

Related to Need a small valve for gas injection? Any ideas?

What is a gas injector and how does it work?

A gas injector is a device used to introduce gas into a system. It works by using a nozzle to break up the gas into small droplets, increasing its surface area and allowing it to mix more efficiently with the surrounding air or fuel.

Why is it important to have a well-designed gas injector?

A well-designed gas injector can improve the efficiency and performance of a system. It can also help reduce emissions and improve fuel economy.

What factors should be considered when designing a gas injector?

Some important factors to consider include the fuel type, injection pressure, injection timing, and the design of the nozzle. The type of engine and its specific requirements should also be taken into account.

What are some common problems associated with gas injectors?

Some common problems include clogging of the nozzle, leaks, and improper spray patterns. These issues can lead to decreased performance and efficiency of the system.

How can gas injectors be maintained to ensure optimal performance?

Regular cleaning and inspection of the nozzle can help prevent clogging and ensure proper spray patterns. It is also important to use high-quality fuel and replacement parts when needed.