Need advice on data converter boards (ADC & DAC)

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on ADC and DAC boards for their digital radiometer with specific requirements including single input/output, 12-16 bit resolution, high SNR, low power consumption, and high throughput/sample rate. They ask if there are any options available and mention using ads7841, a 12-bit 4-channel ADC interface, with schematics and C code provided.
LaVic
Hello Everyone,

I would need some advice on what type of down converting analog to digital Converter (ADC) board and an digital to analog converter (DAC) board to use for my digital radiometer. Here are the specs for my ideal boards:

Analog to Digital Converter requirements:

• Single Input
  • 12-16 Bit Resolution Output
  • High Signal To Noise Ratio (SNR)
  • Low Power Requirement (with one power supply preferably)
  • 80+ megasamples/second throughput/sample rate
  • Overall the ADC needs to be ideal for IF sampling applications.

Digital to Analog Converter requirements:

• Single Output
  • 12-16 Bit Resolution Input
  • Remaining requirments are similar to the one of the ADC

Are there any ADCs and DACs out there that could fulfill the above stated requirements? I would appreciate any feedback! Thank You!

Engineering news on Phys.org

Related to Need advice on data converter boards (ADC & DAC)

1. What is the purpose of a data converter board?

Data converter boards, also known as ADC (Analog-to-Digital Converter) and DAC (Digital-to-Analog Converter) boards, are used to convert analog signals into digital signals and vice versa. They are commonly used in electronic devices to convert real-world analog signals, such as sound or temperature, into digital data that can be processed by computers.

2. What factors should I consider when choosing a data converter board?

When choosing a data converter board, it is important to consider factors such as resolution, speed, accuracy, and interface compatibility. The resolution determines the number of discrete values that can be represented in the digital signal, while speed refers to how quickly the conversion process can be completed. Accuracy is measured by the maximum error in the converted signal, and interface compatibility refers to the type of interface used to connect the board to other devices.

3. Are there different types of data converter boards?

Yes, there are different types of data converter boards, including SAR (Successive Approximation Register), Delta-Sigma, and Pipelined ADCs, as well as R-2R and Sigma-Delta DACs. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the best choice will depend on the specific application and requirements.

4. How can I ensure the accuracy of my data converter board?

To ensure the accuracy of your data converter board, it is important to carefully select the appropriate resolution, calibration, and filtering options. It is also recommended to use high-quality components and minimize noise and interference in the circuit.

5. Are there any common issues with data converter boards?

Yes, there are a few common issues that can occur with data converter boards, such as aliasing, offset error, and non-linearity. These issues can be minimized through proper calibration and filtering techniques, and by selecting a high-quality data converter board from a reputable manufacturer.