Need advice on getting to a good EECS graduate program

In summary, the speaker is a fourth year student who has switched majors from biochemistry to EECS and is seeking advice on how to get into a top tier EECS program for graduate school. They are aware of the basic determining factors for admission, such as GPA, research experience, LORs, and GRE scores, but are unsure of additional steps they should take to prepare. They are questioning whether or not to try to publish a paper, join a research group outside of their interest, take graduate level courses, and how much research experience is necessary before applying. They also have concerns about switching majors and if it will negatively impact their application. The speaker is seeking advice on how to prioritize their efforts and is considering internships, attending grad
blazethrulife
Hi pf,

I am currently a fourth year student who has recently switched majors from biochemistry to EECS (so I'm going to get my bs sometime around 2013-2014). And since I'm pretty much back to square one, I am in need of some basic advice with regards to how to get into a top tier EECS program (top tier in the field of my interest). I understand the basic determining factors of admittance/rejection to a phd program such as GPA, research experience, LORs, and GRE scores, but I feel like there is something more that I should know about in the grand scheme of things when trying to prepare for graduate school. For example:

1. Should I try to publish a paper? I know that this is very difficult and time-consuming as an undergraduate, and I'll probably have to compromise my gpa, and/or something else. Even if I do happen to compromise, there is no guarantee that I can produce results within the given amount of time (let alone publish) before applying to graduate school. So is the "attempt" of publishing a paper worth the time?

2. Should I try to get into ANY research group, even though I'm not interested in that particular area of research? Say that I'm really interested in computer architecture, but the only research group that is willing to take me in is a mixed-mode circuits group, should I just join that?

3. Should I take graduate level courses to make myself look competitive? There are two particular graduate level courses that I really want to take before I get my bs, but I think that my efforts and time would be better allocated elsewhere.

4. How many years of research should I have done prior to applying to graduate school? (Roughly speaking)

5. I have recently switched my major to EECS because of an extraordinary epiphany that I had a couple months back. But I know that because I am going to get my bs really late, how bad will this look? I "wasted" a lot of time (or spent a lot of time figuring out what I didn't like) taking nonrelevant classes such as organic chemistry, biochemistry, biology...etc.

These are just few of the many things that I am unsure of now. I understand that if I should aim to do all these things if I want to be the ideal applicant for a phd program, but I just would like to know how I should set my priorities. I consider myself a competent student as far as gpa and studying goes, but I just want to be careful in the steps and directions that I take because it may impact my future significantly. Maybe I shouldn't be tripping out about these things, but I found treasure once I discovered how much I love EECS. I want to be able to take this love as far as possible, so that's why I really want to this right.

Thanks for your input, pplease.

Edit: Additional questions that I forgot to add:

6. How important is an internship at a company? It seems that a lot of my fellow students are doing these internships but they just plan on getting their bs and working in the industry. Does this matter for graduate school? Should I intern over the summers rather than doing research?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
7. How important is it to attend grad school fairs? I feel like these are just a way of getting your name out there, but I'm not sure if this is worth the time and effort.8. Should I take part in robotics competitions or hackathons? I feel like this type of stuff looks good on a resume, but I'm not sure if this matters when applying to grad school.Thanks again for your input!

Related to Need advice on getting to a good EECS graduate program

1. How important are research experiences for getting into a good EECS graduate program?

Research experiences are highly valued by EECS graduate programs as they demonstrate your ability to think critically, solve problems, and work independently. It also shows your interest and dedication to the field of EECS. It is recommended to have at least one research experience before applying to a graduate program.

2. Is it necessary to have a high GPA to be accepted into a good EECS graduate program?

While a high GPA is certainly beneficial, it is not the only factor that graduate programs consider. They also look at your research experiences, letters of recommendation, and statement of purpose. It is important to have a strong overall application, but a slightly lower GPA can be offset by other impressive qualifications.

3. What is the typical timeline for applying to EECS graduate programs?

The typical timeline for applying to EECS graduate programs is 1-2 years before the desired start date. This allows enough time to complete any necessary prerequisites, take standardized tests (such as the GRE), and gather all application materials. It is important to research specific program deadlines and plan accordingly.

4. How important are letters of recommendation in the application process?

Letters of recommendation are an important aspect of the application process as they provide insight into your academic abilities and personal qualities from the perspective of someone who knows you well. It is important to choose recommenders who can speak to your strengths and provide specific examples of your accomplishments.

5. Are there any specific skills or experiences that EECS graduate programs are looking for in applicants?

While each program may have different requirements and preferences, some skills and experiences that are generally valued in EECS graduate applicants include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, proficiency in programming languages, and a background in mathematics and/or science. It is also beneficial to have experience in a research setting and a clear understanding of your research interests and goals.