Need advice regarding the major to take for masters in mechanical

In summary, the speaker is a recent mechanical engineering graduate who is considering pursuing a master's degree. They are having trouble choosing between several areas of study, including applied mechanics, machine design, thermal sciences, and aerospace. They are particularly interested in thermodynamics and designing and building things. The speaker is seeking advice on work opportunities and opinions on which area to choose. The suggestion is made to gain work experience before deciding on a specific field of study for graduate school.
sci-phy
Hey,

I've just graduated with a degree in mechanical engineering and I'm planning to go for masters.
But now, I've to choose between Applied mechanics, Machine design, Thermal sciences (Thermodyn and fluid mech) and Aerospace (Aerodyn in particular); all of which I like very much. I'm having a tough time deciding which one to choose. :confused: I'm really interested in studying more about thermodynamics, but at the same time eager to design and build stuff using the fundamental principles.

Kindly do advise me regarding the work opportunities in the fields mentioned..and your opinion on which to take.

Thanks!:smile:

Engineering news on Phys.org
It really all depends on what you're interested in and what you hope to do later on in your career. Choose a discipline based on your interests. I chose to do a master's in mechanical, but I research engineering software and tools (not exactly an ME field). I hope to be involved with that industry in the future, so I chose that area of research.

Something you might consider is holding off on doing graduate school until you've worked for a couple years and found out what it is you like and don't like. If you're eager to design things, try doing it for a while and then see if that's something you'd like to pursue for research.

Related to Need advice regarding the major to take for masters in mechanical

1. What are the job prospects for a master's degree in mechanical engineering?

With a master's degree in mechanical engineering, you can pursue a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as automotive, aerospace, manufacturing, and energy. Job titles may include mechanical engineer, design engineer, project manager, research and development engineer, and more. The demand for mechanical engineers is expected to grow by 4% from 2019 to 2029, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

2. What are the core courses typically included in a master's program in mechanical engineering?

The core courses in a master's program in mechanical engineering usually include advanced topics in mechanics, materials science, thermodynamics, heat transfer, fluid mechanics, and control systems. You may also have the opportunity to specialize in a specific area, such as robotics, renewable energy, or advanced manufacturing.

3. What skills will I develop through a master's program in mechanical engineering?

Through a master's program in mechanical engineering, you will develop advanced analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as technical skills in areas such as computer-aided design, data analysis, and experimental methods. You will also gain experience in project management, teamwork, and communication, which are essential for success in the field.

4. How long does it typically take to complete a master's program in mechanical engineering?

The length of a master's program in mechanical engineering can vary, but it typically takes 2-3 years to complete. This can depend on factors such as whether you are attending full-time or part-time, and if you have any transfer credits or previous experience in the field.

5. What are the potential benefits of pursuing a master's degree in mechanical engineering?

A master's degree in mechanical engineering can provide many benefits, including increased job opportunities, higher earning potential, and the opportunity to specialize in a specific area of interest. It can also prepare you for leadership roles in industry or academia and provide a strong foundation for pursuing a doctoral degree in the field.