Need an extra course, any ideas?

In summary, the person is currently unable to fit a physics course into their schedule and is considering taking a math course instead, specifically leaning towards abstract algebra or probability theory. They are unsure which math courses will be most useful for their physics courses and mention some options they have looked into, including topology and group theory. They also mention that complex analysis and numerical analysis are generally useful and suggest taking courses in probability theory, complex variables, combinatorics, real analysis, and numerical analysis. They also mention that an independent study in physics may be an option. They recommend taking courses in group theory and topology, but the courses listed above have a general application across STEM fields. They also mention that taking one course in advanced linear algebra may be enough and
malignant
In the fall I currently only have 11 credits and no physics courses will fit in my schedule with the way the times are set up. I was going to either take a math or a computer science course(leaning towards math).

Besides PDEs/intro linear algebra course, which math courses would generally be the most useful in physics?

Some of the options I was looking at include:

Abstract Algebra
Advanced Linear Algebra(Edit: this is only offered in spring so I can't do this)
Probability Theory
Complex Variables
Combinatorics
Topology
Number Theory
Real Analysis
Numerical Analysis (I have 2 programming courses so this wouldn't be over my head)

My problem is I'm not too sure which ones will actually be useful and applicable to my physics courses.

Currently I have Calc1-3, ODEs, PDEs, some self-studied complex variables, and an introductory Linear Algebra course

Physics news on Phys.org
I found some of topology (but not the course itself) useful for some classical mechanics. Notions of open balls and compactness are nice. I took topology without real analysis, but I wouldn't recommend it; it was rougher on me than the other students who had seen a lot more proof-based math. Numerical analysis was definitely a fun course as a physics major.

Group theory (abstract algebra) is useful. In solid state you have symmetry groups and it's also used in particle physics. Complex analysis is just plain useful, and you'll see the material come up again in graduate school. I'd say to pick one of these two.

Another option, depending on how your school/department does these things, is an independent study in physics.

It's not clear how many years you have been in college already. Sooner or later, you should take the courses listed below:

Probability Theory
Complex Variables
Combinatorics
Real Analysis
Numerical Analysis

Depending on you physics concentration, you might want to squeeze in topology and group theory as suggested by JEB, but the courses listed above have pretty general application across the STEM spectrum.

SteamKing said:
Probability Theory
Complex Variables
Combinatorics
Real Analysis
Numerical Analysis

I noticed you didn't include Advanced Linear Algebra, is just one course on it good enough?

Numerical Analysis wouldn't be a bad idea. It'll give you skills that will be useful for research and possibly employment.

malignant said:
I noticed you didn't include Advanced Linear Algebra, is just one course on it good enough?

You said it didn't fit your schedule. Also, not sure that the course would contain.

FAQ: Need an extra course, any ideas?

1. What are some options for taking an extra course?

Some options for taking an extra course may include enrolling in an online course, attending a summer school program, or taking a course at a local community college or university.

2. How can I find out if my current school offers any additional courses?

You can check with your school's academic advisor or course catalog to see if they offer any additional courses that may interest you.

3. Are there any free or affordable options for taking an extra course?

There are many online platforms that offer free or affordable courses, such as Coursera, edX, and Udemy. Your local library or community center may also offer free courses or workshops.

4. What are the benefits of taking an extra course?

Taking an extra course can help expand your knowledge and skills, make you more attractive to potential employers, and provide a way to explore new subjects or interests.

5. How do I determine which extra course is right for me?

Consider your current academic or career goals, your interests and strengths, and the time and resources you have available. Research different courses and their syllabi to see which ones align with your goals and interests.