Need Career Advice for Specializing in Physics

SUBHASREE577
I’m in my 2nd year of a B.Sc. in Physics and unsure which field to pursue. I thought my next career would be based on what I'm interested in, but there are many fields in physics, and I don’t know where to start my self-study to explore them. What should I begin with?

Physics news on Phys.org
What led you to major in physics in the first place?

As you move into upper year physics, you should really be exploring as much as you can. I don't think there's any specific formula for doing this. Lots of people don't really figure out what subfield they want to get into until graduate school is looming. But things that can help include:
  • Attend departmental colloquia.
  • Take introductory courses to the difference sub-fields that are available.
  • Try to get involved in a research project.
  • Join your undergraduate physics society and start making friends with more senior undergraduate students and even graduate students.
  • Make time for independent reading.
  • If you have a chance to attend a conference, go.

Likes DeBangis21, SUBHASREE577, WWGD and 2 others
Good advice so far. Also, read a lot. At the least, read Physics Today every month.

Likes DeBangis21 and berkeman
SUBHASREE577 said:
I’m in my 2nd year of a B.Sc. in Physics and unsure which field to pursue. I thought my next career would be based on what I'm interested in, but there are many fields in physics, and I don’t know where to start my self-study to explore them. What should I begin with?
<<Emphasis added>> Also, are you planning to get a job after you complete your B.Sc., or are you planning to go for a graduate degree (master's or PhD)?

Choppy said:
As you move into upper year physics, you should really be exploring as much as you can. I don't think there's any specific formula for doing this. Lots of people don't really figure out what subfield they want to get into until graduate school is looming. But things that can help include:
  • Attend departmental colloquia.
  • Take introductory courses to the difference sub-fields that are available.
  • Try to get involved in a research project.
  • Join your undergraduate physics society and start making friends with more senior undergraduate students and even graduate students.
  • Make time for independent reading.
  • If you have a chance to attend a conference, go.
Thankyou

CrysPhys said:
What led you to major in physics in the first place?
Honestly, I could relate to the concept easily and that raised my interest in physics.
Among chemistry, physics,math and CS (options I got to major further)I could understand physics comparatively more.

CrysPhys said:
<<Emphasis added>> Also, are you planning to get a job after you complete your B.Sc., or are you planning to go for a graduate degree (master's or PhD)?
I am planning to go for master's degree

What are you hoping to do with a master's degree that you can't do with a bachelor's?

Just a feeling, @Choppy in post #3 gave the best advice. Part of this "feeling", is experience counts, more or less. Physics is for an Education. What do you want as a Job?