Need help calculation Thevenin equivalent

In summary, the Thevenin equivalent circuit is a simplified replacement circuit for complex networks, found by removing the load resistor and calculating the open-circuit voltage and equivalent resistance. Its applications include designing, simulating, and troubleshooting circuits, as well as finding maximum power transfer. However, it is only applicable for linear circuits as non-linear circuits require more complex analysis methods.
noname1
On the first image i have to find the thevenin equivalent viewed from terminals x, x' & y, y'

i get the Req as 7.32ohms but now i am having trouble calculating the vth, i have no I to calculate

thanks in advance

Attachments

• scan0007.jpg
    scan0007.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 366
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you put in the right picture? I see no terminals a&b, but only x,x',y and y'.

V_th is R_th * (current if you short the output terminals)

Yes i am sorry its terminal x, x' & y, y'

Related to Need help calculation Thevenin equivalent

1. What is the Thevenin equivalent circuit?

The Thevenin equivalent circuit is a simplified replacement circuit for a complex network of resistors, voltage sources, and current sources. It represents the behavior of the original circuit at a specific load without the need for detailed calculations.

2. How do I calculate the Thevenin equivalent circuit?

To calculate the Thevenin equivalent circuit, you need to follow these steps:

• 1. Remove the load resistor from the original circuit.
  • 2. Find the open-circuit voltage (Voc) by using a voltage divider or any other applicable method.
  • 3. Find the equivalent resistance (Req) by short-circuiting all voltage sources and opening all current sources, then calculating the resistance between the terminals.
  • 4. Draw the Thevenin equivalent circuit with Voc as the voltage source and Req as the resistor.

3. Why do I need to calculate the Thevenin equivalent circuit?

The Thevenin equivalent circuit is useful in simplifying complex circuits and analyzing their behavior at a specific load. It also helps in determining the maximum power transfer and finding the most efficient operating point for the circuit.

4. What are the applications of Thevenin equivalent circuits?

The Thevenin equivalent circuit has various applications in electrical engineering, such as:

• 1. Designing and analyzing complex circuits.
  • 2. Modeling and simulating circuits in software.
  • 3. Troubleshooting circuit problems.
  • 4. Finding the maximum power transfer for power systems.

5. Can I use Thevenin equivalent circuit for non-linear circuits?

No, the Thevenin equivalent circuit is only applicable for linear circuits, where the relationship between voltage and current is linear. Non-linear circuits require more complex methods for analysis, such as the use of differential equations or simulation software.

Back