Need help choosing a good motion sensor

In summary, a team is working on building a motion sensor device for a museum exhibit. They plan to use motion sensors to trigger sounds and spotlights on instruments, connected to an Arduino. The team's manager has asked for help finding a good motion sensor device, specifically an Infra-red PIR device, and recommends checking out sparkfun.com.
kksd15
Hi everybody!

So I'm in this internship where my team and I have to build a motion sensor device for a museum's exhibit.

Basically, there are instruments behind glass, and we're going to set up motion sensors around or in front of the set up for viewers to trigger. Once they're triggered, we're going to play a sound and have like a spotlight on the instrument and all that. We're going to hook everything up to an Arduino.

I'm not an electrical engineer, but my team's manager asked me to find a good motion sensor device to use for our project. I've been looking online for a few hours now, but I'm not really getting anywhere. So I was wondering if someone could please help me?

I'm somewhat confused with which kind of sensor is best for this job. I know there are IR sensors and ultrasound ones. but yeah.. if anyone can recommend a specific kind, so I can go check them out, that would even be better.

Thanks so much!
KD

Engineering news on Phys.org
Look for Infra-red PIR devices under sensors at sparkfun.com. Basically the sensing guts of your automatic porch light controller. If you can deal with the time constants, you can just use the porch light things themselves...

okay, thanks! =]

FAQ: Need help choosing a good motion sensor

What is a motion sensor and how does it work?

A motion sensor is a device that detects movement or changes in the surrounding environment. It works by emitting some form of energy, such as infrared radiation, and then measuring the reflection or absorption of that energy. When motion is detected, the sensor sends a signal to a connected device, such as an alarm or light.

What are the different types of motion sensors available?

There are several types of motion sensors, including infrared, ultrasonic, microwave, and dual technology sensors. Infrared sensors are the most commonly used and detect body heat, while ultrasonic sensors use sound waves to detect motion. Microwave sensors emit and measure microwave signals, and dual technology sensors combine two different types of technology for more accurate detection.

What factors should I consider when choosing a motion sensor?

When choosing a motion sensor, you should consider the type of sensor, the detection range and angle, the power source, the environment it will be used in, and any additional features such as sensitivity adjustment or pet immunity. It's also important to choose a reputable brand and read reviews from other users.

Where should I install a motion sensor?

The ideal location for a motion sensor depends on its purpose. For security purposes, it is recommended to install sensors near entry points and in areas with high traffic. For convenience, sensors can be installed in rooms where lights are frequently needed. It's important to avoid placing sensors near windows, heating or cooling sources, or areas with direct sunlight.

How can I ensure the accuracy of a motion sensor?

To ensure the accuracy of a motion sensor, make sure it is installed correctly and at the recommended height and angle. Regularly clean the sensor to remove any dust or debris that could interfere with its detection abilities. Also, consider using sensors with adjustable sensitivity settings to avoid false alarms. Lastly, regularly test the sensor to make sure it is still functioning properly.