Need help choosing topic for ECE literature review

In summary, the individual is seeking help in choosing a topic for a literature review in an advanced writing class. The topic must be related to computer or electrical engineering and must involve presenting and evaluating recent research and competing ideas in the field. They are open to suggestions and advice from those with experience in this type of essay. One potential topic suggested is Broadband over Powerlines (BPL), which involves sending broadband communication over high-power AC Mains transmission lines and has generated controversy due to interference with radio bands.
limz
This doesn't seem to be a typical type of question for this site, but I need help choosing a topic for a literature review in an advanced writing class. It needs to be related to computer or electrical engineering, and is described as follows:

"A literature review is a very common genre of bibliographic essay; it surveys and evaluates current knowledge in a field. It presents and evaluates recent research in a specific area of this field and competing ideas and theories in this area (that is, it delineates debates in the field), and suggests possibilities and objectives for further research."

If anyone has experience with these types of essays and could offer advice, or even better suggest a topic it would be extremely helpful. I have no issues with technical writing or researching, I've just never encountered this type of essay and have absolutely no idea what would be a suitable topic. Once I have a viable topic I should be able to complete this easily, but I don't even know where to start. I don't know what's too broad or too specific and delving through extremely dense scholarly articles isn't doing anything except making me more frustrated. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
limz said:
This doesn't seem to be a typical type of question for this site, but I need help choosing a topic for a literature review in an advanced writing class. It needs to be related to computer or electrical engineering, and is described as follows:

"A literature review is a very common genre of bibliographic essay; it surveys and evaluates current knowledge in a field. It presents and evaluates recent research in a specific area of this field and competing ideas and theories in this area (that is, it delineates debates in the field), and suggests possibilities and objectives for further research."

If anyone has experience with these types of essays and could offer advice, or even better suggest a topic it would be extremely helpful. I have no issues with technical writing or researching, I've just never encountered this type of essay and have absolutely no idea what would be a suitable topic. Once I have a viable topic I should be able to complete this easily, but I don't even know where to start. I don't know what's too broad or too specific and delving through extremely dense scholarly articles isn't doing anything except making me more frustrated. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Welcome to the PF.

Sounds like good topics would be current, technical, and perhaps controversial.

One topic comes to mind, because I've done a little reading (not much) about it based on my amateur radio involvement. The topic is Broadband over Powerlines (BPL), and involves sending broadband communication over the high-power AC Mains transmission lines. The idea involves technology, and has its usefulness, but it also generates a lot of interference for various radio bands. The FCC and ARRL and other organizations are involved with sorting out the technical issues and legal issues. You should be able to find info about it with a Google search.

I'll try to think of other potential topics as well. Good luck!

Related to Need help choosing topic for ECE literature review

1. What is an ECE literature review?

An ECE literature review is a comprehensive summary and analysis of existing research and literature on a specific topic in the field of Early Childhood Education. It involves critically evaluating and synthesizing various sources to identify key themes, trends, and gaps in the current knowledge.

2. How do I choose a topic for my ECE literature review?

When choosing a topic for your ECE literature review, it is important to consider your personal interests, current issues and debates in the field, and the availability of relevant literature. You may also consult with your instructor or peers for suggestions and feedback.

3. Can I use any source for my ECE literature review?

It is important to use credible and reputable sources for your ECE literature review. These can include academic journals, books, government reports, and reputable websites. Be sure to evaluate the reliability and validity of your sources before including them in your review.

4. How do I organize my ECE literature review?

There are several ways to organize your ECE literature review, including chronological, thematic, and theoretical frameworks. It is important to choose a structure that best supports your objectives and effectively presents your findings and analysis.

5. What is the purpose of an ECE literature review?

The main purpose of an ECE literature review is to demonstrate your understanding of the current state of knowledge on a specific topic in the field, as well as your ability to critically analyze and synthesize relevant information. It also helps to identify gaps in the existing research and provides a foundation for future studies.