Need help controlling power MOSFETs

• Thread starter Jono E
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, a power MOSFET is an electronic switch used in power control applications that works by controlling current flow through its terminals using an electric field. It can be controlled using a gate drive circuit and important parameters to consider when selecting one include maximum voltage and current ratings, on-state resistance, and switching speed. To protect it from overvoltage or overcurrent, a zener diode or TVS diode can be used. Some common applications of power MOSFETs include motor control, power supplies, and electronic devices such as smartphones and laptops.
Jono E
I need to controll around 5-10 IRF7739L1TRPBF power MOSFETs in parallel, I would also like to do it off a 5khz motor pwm controller, is this possible using a gate driver as interface between the two? If so which one?

Engineering news on Phys.org
MIC4426 Is a two channel gate driver. Check the data sheet. There several devices in the family with several choices of polarity.

Micrel. Texas Instruments. and Microchip all make equivalent parts.

FAQ: Need help controlling power MOSFETs

1. What is a power MOSFET and how does it work?

A power MOSFET (Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor Field-Effect Transistor) is a type of electronic switch commonly used in power control applications. It works by controlling the flow of current between its source and drain terminals using an electric field generated by a gate terminal.

2. How can I control the power MOSFET in my circuit?

The power MOSFET can be controlled using a gate drive circuit, which provides the necessary voltage and current to the gate terminal to turn the MOSFET on and off. The gate drive circuit can be designed using a variety of components, such as resistors, capacitors, and drivers.

3. What are the important parameters to consider when selecting a power MOSFET?

Some important parameters to consider when selecting a power MOSFET include its maximum drain-source voltage, maximum drain current, on-state resistance, gate threshold voltage, and switching speed. It is important to choose a MOSFET that can handle the voltage and current requirements of your circuit and has a low on-state resistance to minimize power losses.

4. How can I protect my power MOSFET from overvoltage or overcurrent?

To protect your power MOSFET from overvoltage, you can use a zener diode or TVS (Transient Voltage Suppressor) diode connected in parallel with the drain-source terminals. To protect against overcurrent, you can use a current-limiting circuit or a fuse in series with the MOSFET.

5. What are some common applications of power MOSFETs?

Power MOSFETs are commonly used in a variety of applications that require high power switching, such as motor control, power supplies, audio amplifiers, and DC-DC converters. They are also widely used in electronic devices that require efficient power management, such as smartphones, laptops, and electric vehicles.