Need help deciding what engineer to be

• Thread starter mathnoobie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineer
In summary: They may work on a variety of projects, including residential, commercial, and industrial buildings, as well as bridges, tunnels, and other infrastructure. Math and physics are essential skills for structural engineers, as they are used to analyze and design structures. In summary, the individual is unsure about which type of engineer they should pursue, but they do know that they enjoy math and physics and prefer a desk job. They have started taking courses in civil engineering, but dislike one of the courses and are confused about what engineers actually do on a regular basis. They are seeking information about jobs that require the use of math and physics, and have ultimately decided on pursuing a career in structural engineering after speaking with a friend's brother who is in the field.
mathnoobie
I'm not sure what Engineer I should be or if I should really be one, but I know two things;
I really enjoy math and physics/chemistry. I've only taken so far Calculus 3 and Classical Mechanics so I'm not too familiar with both topics but I do know that I really enjoy doing them. They just seem to make sense and it's fun like putting a puzzle together. I like a desk job, sitting in front of a computer in an office room which may sound crazy but that's what I prefer. I was thinking of Civil Engineering which I've started taking courses in (Statics and Surveying) and I hate surveying utterly with all my heart(maybe because my professor shows up to class with no lesson plan and just wings it and I like predictability). There has never been a topic I've enjoyed so little and I really hope this is not what Civil Engineers do. The reason I'm confused is because I really don't know what Engineers do on a regular basis and I've been told that this math and physics I learn will rarely be used which is disheartening but I can understand why Calculus wouldn't be used in modern time Engineering.

I may not be giving much information but if possible could anyone describe to me a job that requires use of these two topics? I started college early with no guidance and it was completely new for me to not have a schedule planned out for me and whenever I see a counselor, they always tell me to take general ed or follow some sort of curriculum and when I ask them about what the job is actually like, they can't answer. I would really just love to know the applications of these topics in the real world and what jobs apply them and what certain kinds of engineers do.

Edit: I actually found out that my friend's brother is an engineer and after a long talk, I've decided on structural engineering. Thank you to everyone for reading my post, and if anyone has input on what structural engineers do, it is still welcome.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Structural engineers specialize in designing and analyzing structures to ensure that they are safe, efficient, and cost-effective. Structural engineers evaluate the structural integrity of existing buildings, bridges, and other structures, and design new ones to meet specific requirements. They may use computer-aided design (CAD) software to create plans, and must also be able to analyze complex calculations and data to ensure that their designs are safe and optimal. Structural engineers must also be familiar with building codes and regulations, and must consider environmental factors, such as wind and seismic activity.

FAQ: Need help deciding what engineer to be

1. What types of engineers are there?

There are many different types of engineers, including mechanical, electrical, civil, chemical, aerospace, biomedical, and environmental engineers, among others. Each type of engineer specializes in a specific area of engineering and has unique skills and responsibilities.

2. How do I decide which type of engineer to be?

The best way to decide which type of engineer to be is to research the different fields and their job duties, and then consider your interests and strengths. You can also talk to engineers in different fields and ask them about their experiences to get a better idea of what each type of engineer does.

3. Which type of engineering has the best job prospects?

The job prospects for each type of engineering vary depending on the current demand and industry trends. However, in general, fields such as mechanical, electrical, and software engineering tend to have strong job prospects due to their broad applicability in various industries.

4. What education and skills are needed to become an engineer?

To become an engineer, you will need a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field. Many engineers also pursue advanced degrees for career advancement. In addition to technical knowledge, engineers also need skills such as problem-solving, critical thinking, teamwork, and communication.

5. What is the difference between a professional engineer and a licensed engineer?

A professional engineer (PE) is an engineer who has completed the necessary education, passed a rigorous exam, and gained several years of professional experience. A licensed engineer is a PE who has also obtained a state license, which is required to practice engineering in certain industries or jurisdictions. Not all engineers are licensed, but becoming licensed can open up more job opportunities and increase earning potential.

Back