Need help deciding what to major in.... Want a career in AI

In summary, the conversation revolves around the individual's interests in various fields such as physics, AI, maths, economics, entrepreneurship, and philosophy/cognitive science. They are considering either a double major in CS/Math or CS/Econ to pursue a career in AI and are also interested in taking philosophy or cognitive science courses as electives. The group suggests that a CS major with a minor in statistics would be a good preparation for a career in AI and that the individual should consider the strength of the courses in statistics and computer science in their chosen major.
Tri
I wanted to study physics when I was younger... took physics in high school and didn't enjoy it at all... kinematics is boring. And now when I look at physics subjects it's not as interesting as it used to be... like optics and waves(yawn) only thing that truly interested is astrophysics which everyone is interested in.

I've wanted to study AI my whole life though but there's no clear path to studying it. I've also recently found a new love for maths. Other fields I like are economics... entrepreneurial things since I've started a couple businesses at a young age and also like stocks and trading. I was planning on majoring in compsci but now I have all these things I want to study I'm not sure what to do... I also like philosophy/cogsci

I'm either going to double major cs/math or cs/econ... What do you guys think? Mainly want to get into AI

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to get into AI then you wouldn't want to spend your time in Econ classes right? :)

You shouldn't only think about what you love studying, but also at what kind of job you want to do later on. For example, studying philosophy will make it very hard on you to find a good job. Studying computer science will make it easy to find a job, but maybe those are not the type of jobs you want. So you'll need to elaborate on this.

I think there is a clear path...a CS major with a minor in statistics would be an excellent preparation for a career in AI.

Likes NathanaelNolk
To the OP:

If your primary interest is ultimately in pursuing research or a career in AI, then the clearest path would be to pursue either a CS major, or a double major in CS and math, with further graduate studies in CS. In either case, it is also highly advisable to take probability and statistics courses (as both play key roles in various areas within machine learning and AI).

As to taking courses in philosophy or cognitive science -- a number of CS majors that I personally know of took courses in these areas as electives, so perhaps pursuing a minor in these areas may not necessarily be a bad idea. My suggestion would be to take a few select courses and see where to go from there.

maybe computer engineering that sounds pretty related I think.

Hey Tri.

A CS/Math combination sounds like a good combination - particularly if you make the mathematics part statistics (as opposed to pure or applied mathematics).

Most of what AI really is about is applied statistics and you will need to balance that with the actual computer science and programming side of things.

I'd recommend looking at how strong the statistics and computer science courses are and seeing if they are strong enough to prepare you for later work.

Related to Need help deciding what to major in.... Want a career in AI

1. What majors are best for a career in AI?

Some of the most popular majors for a career in AI include computer science, data science, mathematics, and engineering. However, AI is a multi-disciplinary field and there are many other majors that can lead to a career in AI such as psychology, linguistics, and philosophy.

2. What skills and knowledge do I need to have for a career in AI?

Some essential skills for a career in AI include programming languages such as Python and Java, statistical analysis, machine learning, and data mining. Additionally, knowledge in mathematics, logic, and problem-solving is also important in the field of AI.

3. How can I prepare for a career in AI while choosing a major?

If you are interested in a career in AI, it is important to choose a major that aligns with your interests and strengths. You can also take courses related to AI, such as machine learning and data analysis, to gain practical skills and knowledge in the field.

4. Are there any specific AI-related internships or extracurricular activities I should consider?

Yes, there are many internships and extracurricular activities that can help you gain experience in AI. Look for internships at companies that specialize in AI, or join AI-related clubs or organizations on your campus. Participating in hackathons and coding competitions can also help you develop your AI skills.

5. What are some potential job opportunities in the field of AI?

With the rapid growth of AI technology, there are many job opportunities in this field. Some popular job titles include AI engineer, data scientist, machine learning engineer, and AI researcher. You can also find AI-related positions in various industries such as healthcare, finance, and transportation.