Need help deriving multiple quantities

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the second derivative of a function and using it to determine the critical points and extrema of the original function. The person asked for help in differentiating the equation without using the product and chain rule, and the conversation discussed using logarithmic differentiation as a simpler method. The conversation also touched on the correct approach for finding the sign changes of the function and determining the extrema.
Dramen
Need help differentiating multiple quantities

Homework Statement

[itex]f′(x) = (x − 1)(x − 2)^2(x − 3)^3(x − 4)^4(x − 5)^5[/itex]

I need help in trying to differentiate this equation. I know could use a combination of the chain and product rule to figure it out, but my teacher said that doing so would take a while and the resulting equation before simplifying would be very long and convoluted and didn't want us to do it that way.

My teacher told me she already taught us a method of doing derivatives of long equations a while ago, but I can't remember that method. Any help in either solving it or just giving me the setup of this "shorter" method is appreciated. (prefer the latter since then it gives me a chance to practice it)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dramen said:

Homework Statement

[itex]f′(x) = (x − 1)(x − 2)^2(x − 3)^3(x − 4)^4(x − 5)^5[/itex]

I need help in trying to derive this equation.
What are you asking? f'(x) already is a derivative. Do you need to find f''(x)? In English we don't say we're "deriving an equation" if the goal is to differentiate a function.
Dramen said:
I know could use a combination of the chain and product rule to figure it out, but my teacher said that doing so would take a while and the resulting equation before simplifying would be very long and convoluted and didn't want us to do it that way.

My teacher told me she already taught us a method of doing derivatives of long equations a while ago, but I can't remember that method. Any help in either solving it or just giving me the setup of this "shorter" method is appreciated. (prefer the latter since then it gives me a chance to practice it)

Yeah sorry I need second derivative because the main question asked for the critical points for f(x) (not known) which I already know are 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, but it also asked what kind of extrema the points are and to prove which extrema they are and I need the second derivative to prove it.

I think what you're after is a different way of expressing the product rule:

If y = f(x)g(x)h(x)... then y' = f'(x)g(x)h(x)...+f(x)g'(x)h(x)...+f(x)g(x)h'(x)...
= (f'(x)/f(x))f(x)g(x)h(x)...+f(x)(g'(x)/g(x))g(x)h(x)...+f(x)g(x)(h'(x)/h(x))h(x)...
= y(x){f'(x)/f(x)+g'(x)/g(x)+h'(x)/h(x)...}
This is even easier using logs:
y = ∏fi
ln(y) = Ʃln(fi)
y'/y = Ʃf'i/fi
And if fi(x) = (x+ai)bi then
ln(fi(x)) = biln(x+ai)
f'i/fi = bi/(x+ai)

Yeah my teacher wanted me to avoid using the product rule and chain rule combo to differentiate it, which was your first example.

Though your second example with the logarithmic differentiation is the one I needed for my problem thanks for reminding me and the help.

The simplest way to do this is logarithmic differentiation.
log(f'(x))= log(x-1)+ 2log(x- 2)+ 3log(x-3)+ 4log(x- 4)+ 5log(x- 5)

yeah I already got to that part.

so that simplified it is:

[itex]f"(x) = (\frac {1}{x-1}+\frac{2}{x-2}+\frac{3}{x-3}+\frac{4}{x-4}+\frac{5}{x-5})((x-1)(x-2)^2(x-3)^3(x-4)^4(x-5)^5)[/itex]

thing is now how would I find out what kind of extrema the roots of f'(x)/critical points of f(x) with such a long function?

I could just plug-in the critical values and look for sign changes, but I don't know what to do it with the fractions going to end up being [itex] \frac{v}{0} [/itex] with v being any of the numerator of my fractions.Edit: Never mind forgot that for sign change test I don't use the critical values as plug-in values

Edit 2: Ok I did my sign change test and my results were +1+2-3-4+5+ if put on a number line, but I'm not sure if that's right

Last edited:
Dramen said:
yeah I already got to that part.

so that simplified it is:

[itex]f"(x) = (\frac {1}{x-1}+\frac{2}{x-2}+\frac{3}{x-3}+\frac{4}{x-4}+\frac{5}{x-5})((x-1)(x-2)^2(x-3)^3(x-4)^4(x-5)^5)[/itex]

thing is now how would I find out what kind of extrema the roots of f'(x)/critical points of f(x) with such a long function?

I could just plug-in the critical values and look for sign changes, but I don't know what to do it with the fractions going to end up being [itex] \frac{v}{0} [/itex] with v being any of the numerator of my fractions.Edit: Never mind forgot that for sign change test I don't use the critical values as plug-in values

Edit 2: Ok I did my sign change test and my results were +1+2-3-4+5+ if put on a number line, but I'm not sure if that's right

I'm not quite sure what you are saying here, but for x < 1 all factors x-j are < 0, and three of them are taken to odd powers while two are taken to even powers, so f'(x) < 0 for x < 1. As x passes through 1, f'(x) changes sign, so f'(x) > 0 for 1 < x < 2. Look carefully what happens to the sign of f'(x) as x passes through 2, 3, 4 and 5.

RGV

Last edited:
Yeah somehow my brain started to die out on me when doing my sign change test.

So would the correct order of sign change be:

- 1 + 2 + 3 - 4 - 5 +

(+'s and -'s are the sign in between the intervals) so that the local extrema are: 1, 3, 5 with points 2 and 4 where the f(x) just goes flat.

If that is the case I could have just done it with the original f'(x) instead of having to use the f"(x) to find them.

Dramen said:
Yeah somehow my brain started to die out on me when doing my sign change test.

So would the correct order of sign change be:

- 1 + 2 + 3 - 4 - 5 +

(+'s and -'s are the sign in between the intervals) so that the local extrema are: 1, 3, 5 with points 2 and 4 where the f(x) just goes flat.

If that is the case I could have just done it with the original f'(x) instead of having to use the f"(x) to find them.

Another way is to note that near x = 1, f'(x) is essentially the same as c1*(x-1), where c1 = (1-2)^2*(1-3)^3*(1-4)^4*(1-5)^5 is a constant; this is essentially because the other factors of f' do not vary much as x varies near 1. You can figure out that c1 > 0. For x near 2, f'(x) looks like c2*(x-2)^2, where c2 =(2-1)*(2-3)^3*(2-4)^4*(2-5)^5 > 0 is a constant. Similarly near x = 3, 4 or 5. Note that these ways of looking at f' allow you to figure out f''(x) easily at x = 1,2,3,4,5.

RGV

Related to Need help deriving multiple quantities

1. What is the process for deriving multiple quantities?

The process for deriving multiple quantities involves identifying the variables and their relationships, setting up equations and solving them simultaneously, and checking the solutions for consistency and accuracy.

2. How do I know which variables to include when deriving multiple quantities?

When deriving multiple quantities, it is important to consider all relevant variables and their relationships. This may involve using equations, physical laws, and other known information to determine which variables should be included in the derivation.

3. Can I use the same method for deriving multiple quantities in different situations?

The method for deriving multiple quantities can vary depending on the specific situation and the variables involved. While the general process may be similar, it is important to carefully consider the variables and their relationships in each individual situation.

4. How do I check the accuracy of my derived quantities?

To check the accuracy of derived quantities, it is important to compare them to known values or other reliable sources. It may also be helpful to perform a sensitivity analysis to see how changes in the input variables affect the derived quantities.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when deriving multiple quantities?

Some common mistakes to avoid when deriving multiple quantities include using incorrect equations or assumptions, neglecting important variables, and making calculation errors. It is important to carefully double-check all steps and input values to ensure accuracy.