Need help desciding if I am mechanical engineering material. Thanks

In summary, the conversation discusses the person's experience in different jobs and their mechanical inclination. They have been attending college for the past 2 years and are struggling with precalculus. They are seeking advice on whether they should continue pursuing a mechanical engineering degree or consider a mechanical engineering technology degree as an alternative. They are willing to put in the hard work to understand the math and physics aspects of the degree.
bmckin11
I have worked several different jobs, such as a mechanic for 7 years, logger for 4 years and a welder for 3 years. long stories for each, but i am mechanically inclined. Everywhere i have gone i have been able to look at different things and figure them out quickly, how to fix them and how they work ect. I have been in college for the past 2 years taking prerequisites planning on becoming a mechanical engineer. I have been having a hard time with precalculus and I was wondering if there is a chance that it may somehow click or become a way of thinking. I have been to tutoring and so on and can understand it there but have a hard time repeating it. If anyone has had this trouble and made it, it would be great to know. keep in mind i am very good at working on anything from a 92 mustang gt with a 347 stroker motor built by myself all the way to the operation and design of a saw mill. if there is any hope for me to be able to understand calculus it would be great to know . I do not mind putting in the hard work to be able to obtain a mech degree if there is a way to be able to understand the math/physics part.
Thanks a million for any info.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Nothing you have said says that you cannot do an ME degree. On the other hand, you might want to consider an Mech Engr. Technology degree as an alternative. This would be somewhat more hands on, a bit less heavy on the math and physics.

I agree with the above post. I'm a MET major and like you have worked as a tradesman and find the physics and calculus, which I like least, are not as intense in the MET program as ME programs I have heard of.

Thank you for the input, I will research this option further.

Related to Need help desciding if I am mechanical engineering material. Thanks

1. What skills are required to be successful in mechanical engineering?

Some of the key skills required for mechanical engineering include problem-solving, critical thinking, attention to detail, strong mathematical and analytical abilities, and a solid understanding of physics and mechanics.

2. What are the main responsibilities of a mechanical engineer?

A mechanical engineer is responsible for designing, developing, testing, and manufacturing various mechanical systems and products. They also analyze and improve existing systems, collaborate with other engineers and professionals, and ensure that projects are completed within budget and on schedule.

3. What type of education is needed to become a mechanical engineer?

Most mechanical engineers have at least a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or a related field. Some may also pursue a master's degree for more advanced positions. It is important to have a strong foundation in math, physics, and other related subjects.

4. What career opportunities are available for mechanical engineers?

Mechanical engineers have a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as automotive, aerospace, manufacturing, and energy. They can work in various roles, including design, research and development, project management, and consulting.

5. How can I determine if I am a good fit for mechanical engineering?

If you enjoy problem-solving, have a strong interest in math and science, and have a natural curiosity about how things work, you may be a good fit for mechanical engineering. It is also essential to have good communication and teamwork skills and a desire to continue learning and adapting to new technologies and techniques.