Need help determine force from cylinder linkage

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the downward force of a rod with a given cylinder pressure and mechanical linkage. The speaker suggests solving the problem using linkages with vectors and moments, but notes that the force transfer function will vary depending on the mechanism's attitude. They also mention the need for details such as linkage centers-of-mass and lengths between pins to accurately calculate the force.
charandstell
How can I determine the downward force of the rod with the given cylinder pressure and mechanical linkage? Do I sum my moments about the pivot? I calculated M=950xCOS(75.732)x7.81 + (X)SIN(63.414)x9.4 which resulted in 1828lbs. I get 217 lbs which does not seem right.
1673307874515.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

What a confusing picture.
If that is an auto-leveling front-end-loader mechanism, I would solve it using linkages with vectors and moments. To do that, I would need details of the linkage centers-of-mass, lengths between pins, and the coordinates of all fixed point pins on the loader frame.
The force transfer function will vary depending on the attitude of the mechanism.
The aim would be to find the bucket downforce as a function of hydraulic pressure.

Related to Need help determine force from cylinder linkage

1. How do I calculate the force exerted by a hydraulic cylinder?

To calculate the force exerted by a hydraulic cylinder, use the formula: Force = Pressure × Area, where Pressure is the hydraulic fluid pressure and Area is the cross-sectional area of the cylinder's piston. The area can be calculated using the formula: Area = π × (diameter/2)^2.

2. What factors affect the force output of a hydraulic cylinder?

The force output of a hydraulic cylinder is affected by the hydraulic pressure, the piston area, and the mechanical advantage provided by the linkage system. Additionally, friction and efficiency losses in the system can also impact the actual force output.

3. How do I account for mechanical linkage in force calculations?

To account for mechanical linkage, you need to consider the geometry of the linkage system, including the lengths and angles of the links. The force transmitted through the linkage can be determined using principles of static equilibrium and vector analysis, often requiring the use of trigonometry and free-body diagrams.

4. What is the role of the pivot points in a cylinder linkage system?

Pivot points in a cylinder linkage system serve as the points around which the links rotate. They play a crucial role in determining the mechanical advantage and the direction of the force transmitted through the linkage. The position and movement of these pivot points must be carefully analyzed to understand the force dynamics in the system.

5. How can I improve the accuracy of my force calculations in a cylinder linkage system?

To improve the accuracy of your force calculations, ensure that you have precise measurements of all dimensions and angles in the linkage system. Use accurate values for hydraulic pressure and piston area. Consider factors such as friction, material properties, and any external loads. Employing computer-aided design (CAD) software and finite element analysis (FEA) can also enhance the precision of your calculations.