Need help elaborating different physics concepts in these statements

In summary, the conversation is about an oratorical exam where the speaker must give a 5-minute elaboration on two randomly selected statements. These statements cover various physics concepts such as forces, energy, momentum, equilibrium, and electricity. Formulas may be used to support the statements, but the focus is on providing explanations rather than mathematical computations.
leoblack9

Homework Statement

I have an oratorical exam, with two of these statements given randomly. So I have to give at least 5 minutes of elaboration of each statement.

1. A force is something capable of changing an object’s state of motion. To produce a change in motion, there must be a net or unbalanced force.

2. Friction is the resistance to motion that occurs between contacting surfaces. The frictional force between surfaces is characterized by coefficients of friction.

3. The total energy of the universe or of an isolated system is conserved. The total mechanical energy is constant in a conservative system.

4. In the absence of a net external force, the total linear momentum of a system is conserved. Momentum is conserved in both elastic and inelastic collisions.

5. Mechanical equilibrium requires that the summation of forces and the summation of torques are both equal to zero.

6. An object will float or sink in a fluid depending on the ratio of its density with the density of the fluid. Also, an object fully or partially submerged in a fluid is buoyed up by a force equal in magnitude to the weight of the volume of fluid it displaces.

7. The electric field is a vector field that describes how nearby charges modify the space around them.

8. Electric current is the net rate at which charge flows past a given point. Electrical resistance of circuit element depends on its geometry as well as the intrinsic electrical properties of its material.

9. A transformer is a device that changes the voltage supplied to it by means of induction. If the voltage is increased, the output current is reduced, and vice versa.

10. The Law of Reflection: the angle of incidence equals the angle of reflection. The angle of refraction is given by Snell’s Law.

Homework Equations

Usage of formulas would be helpful in proving these statements but I can tell you minimal mathematical computations are needed here.

The Attempt at a Solution

Again, its entirely oratorical, the only solutions I need are those that would help support my statements in elaboration of these concepts.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a specific question that you wish to ask or do you expect someone to provide you with ten five-minute elaborations on each subject?

Umm, no. I could elaborate it on my own. What I would need exactly is what law/physics concept at work here.

1. Newton's Second Law / Law of Inertia (I get jumbled up here)
2. Kinetic Friction
3. Law of Conservation of Energy

And so on.

FAQ: Need help elaborating different physics concepts in these statements

1. What is the difference between velocity and speed?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they have slightly different meanings in physics. Speed refers to how fast an object is moving, while velocity refers to the speed and direction of an object's motion. In other words, velocity is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, while speed is a scalar quantity, only having magnitude.

2. How does Newton's first law of motion apply to everyday life?

Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue to move at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. This law can be seen in everyday life, such as when a car suddenly stops and passengers continue to move forward due to inertia.

3. Can you explain the concept of momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is defined as the product of its mass and velocity. In simpler terms, it is the quantity of motion an object possesses. An object with a larger mass and/or higher velocity will have a greater momentum. Momentum is conserved in a closed system, meaning the total momentum before and after a collision remains the same.

4. What is the relationship between force and motion?

Force is a push or pull that causes an object to change its motion. According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In other words, the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be.

5. How do you calculate work and power in physics?

Work is defined as the product of force and displacement, where the force is in the same direction as the displacement. The formula for work is W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is displacement. Power, on the other hand, is a measure of how quickly work is being done. It is calculated by dividing the work done by the time it takes to do the work, or P = W/t.

Back